litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Broken Car, No Gears!

krislee

Hi guys and gals,

I'm now a proud owner of a 111S Elise! Well I would be proud if it wasn't sat on my drive broken! I even had it checked over by horizon yesterday.

I'd appreciate any help you can give on this...?

Car was fine leaving Brum, through town and then onto the motorway. An hour and a half later I pull off the motorway and have to stop at some traffic lights and take car out of gear. Lights change and now can't get the car into first, or second, or any gear at all! Basically the gear stick will not move into any gear. Eventually got it into third and could set off, and then eventually got into fifth. At the next three junctions to get home I had the same problem.

Woke up this morning hoping it had cleared itself but no, still can't get any gears. If more pressure is used the revs dip slightly but still no joy. If I try it with the engine off, then I can get any gear inc. reverse. The top inch of travel on the clutch pedal feels crap, i.e. nothing there.

I have a silver braided clutch hose, not the 'red hose'. Is it just the clutch that needs bleeding? If so how do you do that? I've got an easy bleed kit and have done brakes (on a 306) in the past.

What a bummer! A new toy that I can't even use. It means I'll have to wash it now!

Cheers,

Kris.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bad luck fella.

dont sound like a clutch or gearbox problem but im no expert

the linkage in there is quite poor. maybe something has broken and jammed. Any garage should be able to diagnose it for you.

Its best to make light out of the dark though and get an eliseparts upgraded linkage and quickshift !

This is the best thing about the elise. You look forward to things going wrong as its the ideal opportunity to upgrade :blush:

Well...I do :)

Hi Kris,

I'm assuming an S1 111s

My guess is that as Graham suggested it's something to do with the cable clamp which is attached to the engine near the sump.

Easy to check out if you've got a pair of ramps. Reverse the car up the ramps, (tyres may hang off the side a little, but that's OK as long as it's central) Drop the undertray (8mm bolts and 5mm allen bolts) then look for the gear cables. This webpage has pictures of what it should look like.

http://www.eliseparts.com/gear_ins.htm

Guess is that one of the clips holding the cables has dropped off, or the metal bracket they're attached to is broken. Bracket was about £14 a few years ago when mine broke. New one fits without rubber washers and tightens up the gearchange a bit because of this.

Good luck.

Niall.

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked the cables as much as I could and there were no obvious problems. I then bled the clutch and the first stroke of the clutch pedal spluttered a load of fluid and air! Once this was done clutch was okay again - yay!

Will have to check slave cylinder carefully for leaks now and see if it happens again.

Deano: I get the impression you're going to remind me of this 'list' evry time I have a problem, aren't you :rolleyes:;) Thanks for the offer of help.

Cheers,

Kris.

Archived