litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ultima's And Radicals

Bramble111s

Its happened again,

last time I got all crazee, was when I discovered Ariel Atoms!

Now I have discovered Ultimas and Radicals, the Ultima's even have soft tops, hard tops, etc. It seems they may be almost as practical as an Elise?

Anyone know more about these machines? Or point me in the right direction?

It seems Ultimas are kit only, unless one buys second hand?

thanks

Giddy boy.

O-60 in 2.8seconds, hmm, although maybe I can't afford to insure that one on the road...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

theyre not really road cars. Most the radicals are bike engined IIRC and the Ultimas use allsorts of engines (seen a lot of Chevy 5.8s)

They are however mental fast and blatantly laugh in the face of elises on track from what ive seen. Radicals came second in EVO TCOTY behind a Jaguar JP1 which is a similiar looking beast.

Not got any links. just info from mags etc and from what iv seen at donno.

AFAIK there are two ultimas the can-am which is roofless, but does have a tonneau that only can be fitted while stationary(sp?) as it covers he windscreen, is the more powerful of the two. The other is the GTR, has a fixed roof.

Both have 6.3l engines and weigh in at 925kg and 990kg respectively.

Evo list the cost of them as £60k and £45k, but as you build them yourself i have seen buld cost way in excess of those quoted by Evo.

I love the GTR and hope one day i will own one

gtr.jpg

see www.ultimasports.co.uk for more info.

I used to be in the whole kit car thing and the Ultima is an amazing piece of kit - but too expensive for something you build yourself.

However, if you fancy getting the spanners out and about a year to spare, then check out this website. It will give you a clue as to what it takes! Better you than me!

Bis.

http://www.ultima-gtr.info/ubuild.htm

It's a lot of money for what is essentially a track toy!

I'd rather have the GT40 kit which is made in South Africa, can't remeber the company?, it's essentailly the origonal GT40 remade.

Not the same company as above, but Ray Mallock did a batch of very high quality GT40 replicas - they were fantastic too but very pricey.

If I had the choice though, I'd rather have a proper Ultima than a GT40/Ferrari/Lancia Stratos etc replica.....

I definitely see your point Ladders, but no matter how good a copy it is (i.e. even if it is completely identical) it will never actually be a GT40, even if only because of historical reasons. Whilst I would undoubtedly love to have one, there would always be a feeling that it was a bit of a fraud because it wasn't acutally a real one.

I appreciate that on paper my arguement is pretty poor and easilly dismissible, but there's a mystique around any car with history or heritage.

On a plus side of replicas, a friend of my dads has built a complete Bugatti out of new spares (because he works for a company that makes a lot of spares for them) and because he isn't in the slightest bit worried about wearing it out or accident damage etc etc then he uses it throughout the year - probably the only one in the world that is used as regularly.

Archived