litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Gear Change

Johno

Hello All,

I’m a posting virgin so please be gentle with me!! I have recently joined MLOC as I have not long purchased an S2 111S. One of the things that convinced me to get one was reading the forums about the enjoyment Lotus ownership brings.

Having owned one now for two weeks I can see what you all mean!! :D

The only one minor complaint I would have is the gear change. I previously owned an Alfa Spider and although the Elise is better in nearly every respect, the one thing that was great on the Alfa was the gearbox.

I have searched the forums and seen that one of the most worthwhile mods to the S1 is the replacement linkage and QS kit.

My question is do S2 owners agree that the gear change could be better or is it just my particular car or my limp wrist that's the problem?

If so has anyone fitted the upgrade kits and is it worthwhile?

I wait to be enlightened.

Cheers,

Johno

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Johno

I fitted both.

The linkage kit takes a bit of play out, the only bit worth changing is swapping the rubber bushes for solid ones. Most of the other components are the same and not worth changing.

The quickshifter lever makes the most difference, much shorter movement. well worth it.

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the info.

I think I will take your advice and give it a try.

Did you carry out the work yourself or take it to a garage?

Cheers,

Johno

Hi Johno

Yes I did it myself, wheel ramps a must. The whole thing only took about an hour to an hour and a half. I would say the most difficult part (if youve never done it before) is getting the gear knob off.

The linkage is easy and very basic.

Good luck

Dave

Guess the next question is: can the nylatron bushes be sourced independently?

I bought the kit from Eliseparts for my first car, so have the fitting instructions etc already...

Hi Graeme

I am sure that if you got an original or took the dimesions of the bolt and the diameter / width of the hole in the linkage you could pick them up from a motor factor or supplier for a few pence.

I would think, looking at them that they are nothing special and are probably an off the shelf replacement for something. As they say knowledge is power !!! Without knowing what they are is a problem.

But most factors have either a book or a program that will cross the dimensions. ( Like bearing suppliers)

The rest of the parts in the linkage kit are prety standard parts as well, personally I put most of the Lotus componants back as I thought that they were better quality.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks all.

From what you’ve said it looks like the Quick Shift is definitely worth installing. As for the Gear Linkage I think I will first look at removing the old bushes and sourcing some better new ones.

If I have any success I will let you know.

Just need to wait for a warm dry day now!!

Out of interest, has anyone got an explanation as to why they come with rubber bushes in the first place?

I reckon getting a few people together and having some made (by Steve J ??) would be the cheapest/easiest option for nylatron versions. It's possible they are a stock part (and worth investigating) but I think unlikely. Given an idea of the cost upfront I'd definitely be interested in getting some made just to try them.

I'm pretty sure they are stock parts. IIRC prior to the kit being made commercially available by Eliseparts it was developed by Simon Scuffham and he posted instructions on how to make the kit on the BCBBS. Maybe a search through the archive would reveal their specification.

Eitherway, I'd be up for group buy or manufacture of these parts to sort out my sloppy gear change!

Cheers,

Andy

If anyone has a sample of the old bushes they could lend me it would be a great help. I have some contacts through work that I may be able to source new ones from.

It would save me removing and refitting mine just to get the dimensions.

Cheers

BCBBS archive thread

and another, earlier thread

sadly neither give schematics for producing the crucial components and the urls for photos are dead-ends now.

Dave

Interesting what you say about putting most of the old bits back. Some cynics have said the Eliseparts "kits" is snake oil and that a strip down, regrease, new bushes & rebuild would have the same effect. I'd tend to agree with that with the exception of the nylatron bits.

Johno

Would be worth asking someone like Mike at Horizon if he has any lying about. He certainly removed the old ones when he put the linkage kit on my (soon to be departed) car.

Archived