litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Trackers

braggy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

had one on my old elise when it got nicked and put in a lock up in notts. It took them literally an hour to find and recover it but i wish they hadn't as it never felt the same after. I could picture some pikey holding MY Steering wheel and sitting in MY seat.

Tracker Monitors are probably the cheapest and most common. I wouldn't bother unless your insurance company necessitates it tho.

I'd just do your research for yourself. Some insurance companies aren't bothered, some say they definitely need it. However, there's loads of debate about whether the underwriters ACTUALLY require one and, if so, which one. I've got a Tracker Retrieve, which at the time Tesco said they acknowledged but other people have posted other stories. These vary from not requiring one at all to requiring a better one (Monitor??).

My insurance doesnt require one, and then, it would only give 10% saving. Its the peace of mind vs outlay that i'm pondering over, esp. after the exhaust, induction and road angel this month!

Who nicks elises? joy riders?? i'd guess not. Stolen for export?? Unlikely. Stolen to order?? Hmm, surely too few on the road to be 'an order'. Besides which, the average car thief would spend five minutes trying to find the best way to squeeze in, by which time, I'd be out of the house with the largest f.o. iron bar I could find!

Dilemmas, dilemmas. I really shouldny have watched that programme on car theft last night!

I paid £400 for a tracker monitor (alerts tracker HQ if car is stolen) and £109 a year subs, it was a condition of my insurance but it did save me £600 off the next best quote i'd had.

So worth it financially.

And also worth it for the peace of mind that it offers me it, as i can often be a little paranoid about my car being pinched sometimes.

Personally it works well for me.

I went for the Tracker Monitor, but mainly because it paid for itself by slashing my insurance with Direct Line - Tesco were also competitive. But I've just moved to Adrian Flux and they're more concerned what tyre of alarm I've got fitted, even though I've told them it's the standard Cobra - they couldn't care about the Tracker.

It can be reassuring to have, though I'd love to know if anyone with Monitor has pushed their car down the road to see if Tracker call them up to tell them their car is on the move......I always said I'd do it but never got round to it ;)

I have Tracker Monitor, it was required by my insurance, although the same company didn't need it on my first S2.

It does work though when car had to be put on low-loader after dumping all of it's coolant. :P Tracker HQ were on phone within 5 minutes to say car was moving without the engine running. Great piece of mind and means I'm not always fretting after parking my car.

insurance insisted on it when i changed to the 160. waste of time IMO since if my car gets nicked, i really really don't want it back after thieves have thrashed it about and generally not looked after it, it would never feel the same again

JM

Archived