litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

High Speed Kangaroos

Jamie

Just off for MoT this morning, haven't driven the S1 for a few weeks and when we get going (after about 10 miles) the flipping thing starts kangarooing once we're up over around 2.5k revs and 40-50 mph. Luckily I had an alternative/slower route I could take. Seems to be independent of clutch and there's no warning from the management system - what's going on?

Any aswers on a posting greatly appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That'll be water in your distributor, or the sparks plugs, take the dizzy cap off and dry out, i usually spray some wd40 in there too, If you find lots of water in there thats the problem, if not, then take the engine cover off, pull the plug leads off and see if the ends are wet if so, dry them out too.

I've had it happen a few times...tis a bit un-nerving the first time it happens but the next time you'll be used to it....It always happens after 3 or 4 good days of rain.

I was about to say that it wasn't possible, given that she's been in the garage for the last few weeks. However I did take her up to Harrogate and it did rain there, and then....I did douse her with a bucket of water when I got back to finish of her bath-time wash. I knew it was a bad idea! I'll let you know if it was the answer.

Cheers :(

Check you have not got an air line crack in the distributor cap.

If the ignition systems got wet (which will be dry now because you have run the car) as it all warms up it is possible for the distributor cap to crack .... the crack will hold moisture which will cause a short to earth hence the misfire....

By the way the air line crack will be very difficult to see.

I have experienced this on other types of car guess the LOTUS will be the same.

Worth a look anyway.

Regards,

David Nicholas. :(

Same sort of thing happening to me. Havent used it for few weeks, just been sitting on the drive.

Up to about 4k revs it's bouncing then it just clears and goes as ?normal?? so i'm guessing i need to check the same things......

Archived