litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

111r Or 111s

PPPMAT

First post guys so be gentle.........

I have decided to fulfill a childhood dream and buy a lotus. Specifically a 111s.

Just after some reassurance that this is the best car for me. I want to do mainly weekend blasts with 3-4 trackdays a year. Is the extra power over the standard car worth it???

It will be a second car so practicality not a problem. I want a car that I can drive hard and it won't destroy itself...

Also I really really can't make my mind up on colour (subjective I know) but are there any general colours that are always good rather than ones to 'avoid'

Thanks

MAtt

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt,

Welcome to MLOC,111s is a great car but if your going to be doing alot of trackdays you will probably soon want to start modding it and to be honest its easier to mod a standard k than the vvc 111s,if however you feel that you won't want extra power in the future then a 111s would be fine,

regarding the comment on driving it hard and it not destroying itself,well nothing lasts forever and you will need to budget for stuff going wrong.

To be honest if I was looking for a weekend/trackday toy then I would without a doubt go for an S1 sport 160,fantastic car with all the suspension and tweaks you will probably ever need,also this would be much cheaper and allow you to spend more on trackdays.

the 111s extra power is noticable over the standard car,regarding colour I would suggest something in the lighter colour range ice blue is very good at covering up the stone chips you will get and as you say although subjective I think the S2 looks far better in lighter colours.

HTH

Regards

Jon

Thanks Jon

I hear what you say about the s1, but being a novice I want something that can remain standard if possible for the time being.

I've driven the 111r - its great but out of my price range so 111s seemed the logical alternative.

Also I'm not ashamed to say that I prefer the looks of the S2 over the S1

Matt

They all say that...

... then they see a shiny new exhaust, or induction system, or suspension, or, or ...

Best bet for you would be a 135R. More track focused and great on the road when it's dry. As a 2nd car, you're unlikely to choose the Lotus when it's pissing down with rain anyway.

111r a good all-round proposition but pricey right now as it's so new. 111s a good all-rounder too, but has a high top gear, so less well disposed to track work. Both 111s & 111r come with standard suspension and 175 section front tyres, so will suffer a lot of understeer on track. A 135R has LSS (Lotus Sport Suspension), 195 section front tyres with minimal tread (same tread depth, just not much of it) so will really handle well in more extreme situations with much better turn-in. But a S1 makes a better track car anyway!

Graeme

P.S. Jon is worth listening to - he's had 5 Elises, from S1 std to currently S2 111r.

Definitely a candidate for a 135R in my book... if its a weekend toy, with trackday usage, its the best of the bunch.

Have to agree an S1 is a better track car though... plenty of Sport 190's appearing recently, Sport160 also very good on track :)

Nope, like my new one!

The ruby red one (I refuse to call it the old one as it's still current!) is not modified as such, just improved e.g. S2 suspension, gear linkage, hoses. I was ready to shell out on real mods (performance enhancing) but the economics dictated I could get £7K of mods for a £2.5K price increment by buying & selling.

Graeme

First post guys so be gentle.........

I have decided to fulfill a childhood dream and buy a lotus. Specifically a 111s.

Just after some reassurance that this is the best car for me. I want to do mainly weekend blasts with 3-4 trackdays a year. Is the extra power over the standard car worth it???

It will be a second car so practicality not a problem. I want a car that I can drive hard and it won't destroy itself...

Also I really really can't make my mind up on colour (subjective I know) but are there any general colours that are always good rather than ones to 'avoid'

Thanks

MAtt

Matt

Welcome.

I've had my 111S for nearly 2 years now, its done 13,500 miles, including 16 trackdays, trips to Monty Carlo and euro track days. Nothing has gone wrong (that is of importance anyway) The worst I've had is the S2 flying indicators.

What the others have said is all true. Personnely, if I were buying new again I'd get the standard car and spend the monay saved on mods when your ready. I've already got rid of the sexy wheels and suspension and replaced the brakes, seat belts, induction & exhaust.

Spent best part of £5K already, and now I'm looking the bin the engine for a Honda unit.

Trackdays are addictive, and the upgrades you will think you NEED, will cost alot money.

Colours are a personnel choice, but the dark ones will show the stone chips more, and IMO are harder for joe puplic to see on the road.

All the best

Simon

Thanks for all your advice guys. I've weighed up the options and ordered a 111s for March 05 delivery.

I know I've not exactly taken your advice but this decision was based on the fact that the car will be used for fast road driving with only 3-4 trackdays a year. I had a test drive in a 111s at the weekend and pushed as much as I dared - its the car for me.

I really want to do trips abroad and also some long weekends aswell as the crazy fast weekends and my wife just wouldn't come in a REALLY hardcore car.

Matt

Archived