litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Changing Battery On An Elise

Fill

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S1 or S2 ? No idea on the S2 but the S1 is fine. You'll need the touch key and I'd read the manual about the alarm before you start.

Also, remove shroud around radiator and remove the bonnet. It's only 3 bolts and gives easier access for a straight lift (you only get one back, and a awkward lift whilst leant over the wing is a recipe for disaster. You'll need to take care with realigning the bonnet, but it's worth it to protect your back.

The S2 will run very oddly for the first start up but resets itself on the second start up. At least thats what mine does when I've dropped the battery off or let it run too flat.

I changed the battery on my s2 k elise I left the battery out for two days put a new one on and all was fine, like howard says it takes a couple of runs to sort out its ecu thingys but it soon sorts itself.

I had no problems.

No problems on a S1, just changed one myself. If its an early S1 turn the alarm off with the key in the passenger footwell else it will deafen you when you take the battery leads off.

Yep, the older S1 alarms (square alarm fob - Cobra 6159 ???) had such a key. The later ones (approx late 97 onwards with a round fob, and that alarm was an optional upgrade initially) has no 'real' key to override the immobiliser / alarm - it uses the 'touch' key on the steering column.

Mine has square fob, touch key + alarm off key in the passenger footwell (mid 97 S1)

I cannot for for the life of me get them to work as they should, the touch key is for the immobiliser, and the key for the alarm yes?

As for the battery, I let Halfords fit mine for £5 - not as crazy as it sounds, the parts manager of my local one is an MG/Rover/Elise nut and I trust him totally as he was doing the work.

Archived