litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Splitter

mambosasa

Hey All,This weekend I decided to install a front splitter ( from Elisepower) and see what difference, if any it makes to the ride and handling. It took longer than anticipated, but pretty straight forward in complexity. Anyway, these are the steps taken.1. I decided just jack up the car pretty heigh and placed a couple of safety supports. It was pretty tight ( being a lardy type of chap) but manageable.2. Since the splitter itself sits directly under the front of the car, I decided to use sticky domestic door seals (or draft excluders) to run two lines either side of the holes to provide a sealed joint. 3. Then, I removed the plate under the front of the car. About 11 bolts to remove. I had an issue with one of the clips inside the clam moved and dropped in. It was an abosolute bugger to get it out, tighten it then find a way of replacing it. post-590-1211888917.jpg4. I then placed the splitter under the car, whilst ensuring that it is correctly alligned and secured it in place with a support (Box) and tape. post-590-1211889165.jpg5. Marked all the holes with a marker 6. Drilled. I used the smallest drill bit I had first, then enlarged the hole with a dremmel.post-590-1211889220.jpg6. Bolted the splitter into place. The recommendations are that the receiving nuts are bonded onto the clam. I chose not to do this as if the plastic bolts break, I would have to access the underside anyway.Note that I screwed two screws into the underside of the number plate plinth. This is to stop the spliter from deflecting too much downwards at high speeds. This will do for not until I come up with a better solution. Metal cable perhaps?post-590-1211889413.jpg7. I put everything back as original ( full of fun and games due to rust), then dropped the car back down. Replace the number plate, then tried to get out of the garage.I just managed to without hitting the floor as there is a step into my garage.7. I put everything back as original ( full of fun and games due to rust), then dropped the car back down. Replace the number plate, then tried to get out of the garage.I just managed to without hitting the floor as there is a step into my garage.post-590-1211889871.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay,

So I managed to get out for a short drive. Initial reactions are the splitter is definately doing something. At 40-50 mph, you fell very faint vibrations as it works against the air ( if you are not anal like me, you would not notice it at all), however at greater speeds, you definately feel some firmness/ stability.

What this actually means, I am not sure as yet. Is the downforce generated enough to make a difference on track? Perhaps. How much downforce is actually generated by the spliter? Well... enough to be noticed - I have no actual figures.

Personally I am happy so far with the addition. It looks good; It clears all speedbumps; It seems to stablise the car.

What more can one want!

I will post better pictures of it once the sun comes out.

Ta.

Bis.

IIRC Mark A had a pic of him on track and you could see it being bent down by the downforce!

Steve J and Wayne (owen) have them (Not sure if PeteFields got his on yet), never asked if they thought if they do anything!?

I've got the Eliseparts one on mine and it certainly feels more planted at the front end, at 90+mph on track. It may just be a perception thing but it feels like the front end isn't lifting as much at high speed (steering doesn't seem to feel as light as it used to at 90+mph)

I've got the Eliseparts one on mine and it certainly feels more planted at the front end, at 90+mph on track. It may just be a perception thing but it feels like the front end isn't lifting as much at high speed (steering doesn't seem to feel as light as it used to at 90+mph)

Any idea as to how much downforce it generates? Is close to 40kg as read elsewhere?

Archived