litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Straw Poll - Nlc

enxrjm

After 6 months of job hunting with no joy, just got 2 offers in 2 days. Typical.

One is for a large energy company, good prospects, good money, lots of leave, probably stressfull work as a safety engineer (not that I'm too bothered about working hard you understand).

Other is for a small software company (50 employees), working in IT support, less cash, flat heirarchy, more expensive area, nicer company (got back to me same day instead of 5 weeks later), probably more enjoyable and less stressfull work.

Basically head says take the cash to spend on new toys, heart says other company will be better working conditions.

What are peoples oppinions on the large company/small company thing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work for a small company and it is a closer knit thing, you know everyone etc... working environment is nice - hardly less stressful.

I have worked for large companies before, lots of politics involved, more management etc....

I would prefer the working environment of the smaller one no doubt, but if the cash is significantly different then thats good for the larger company... other thing is which job do you prefer, no offence intended, but IT Support would probably drive me scatty - oh, thats right it does! Glad its a small part of my job.

Rich,

Fantastic news!!!!! :gay: Well done. Where are the companies based?

As you know, I work for HSBC - a huge multinational. The benefits to this are:

a stonking good shareshave scheme (treble your money in 3 years in the good years)

depending where you work, exposure to large numbers of people in 80 odd countries

the chance to change careers ( banking, property, accounting, etc) without changing companies. Great for shareshave, pensions, etc.

training: sponsorship of MBAs, etc.

job security: IT jobs are being made redundant all the time, that's why the career change, same company is so useful

redundancy payouts: pretty damn good

nice buildings (usually)

I'm not saying HSBC is the same as every other multinational but there are loads of people that have been here for 30 years because they pay good and allow you the benefits above. Steve works for the smaller company you describe and I work for the large. He's always moaning that I get the best deals.

Fiona

Rich,

Go for the larger company. You'll get better experience and better long-term prospects.

Once you have the experience and a good CV, you can look wider. Going from a larger company to a smaller one they somehow have the impression that you know what you're doing. I found I got offered considerably more money than the larger company would have offered.

If you go from small company to large then you often get looked down on. Peoples perceptions are that the big companies have the best people.

When you're young go for the cash until you want quality of life over money, usually only considered after you have enough cash/security (Maslff & Alderferr's Heirarchy Of Needs).

There you go, even included some management bullshit for free. :gay:

I'd say go for the larger company, they often seem to have better policies put in place rather than in small companies where they seem to have one rule for one person and another for someone else - all depending on what mood the boss is in. Plus more money.

Well done richard! :gay:

I'd say go with your heart and head - you must have a better feeling about one of them?

As for big companies, from my expeirence your just a number there to them. Just look at me and Em at SIP! Same when I worked at the Leicster Mercury.

Cheers for all the advice, decision made. Gonna go for British Energy, but since security clearance etc. will take at least 6 weeks am going to start work at the other company. I should get 2 months of wages and some experience and will be able to stay if the other falls through for any reason. I realise its a bit crappy for the other company and don't feel too comfortable about it but the prospects for BE are so much better that I can't realistically turn them down, nor can I be without income whilst waiting.

Now I just need to find somewhere to live in Letchworth for 2 months before moving to Gloucester.

Try on SELOC for Letchworth digs as there are a good few people that live around there.

Alternatively, have you tried one of the temping agencies if Nottingham is you'd rather stay in Nottingham for 2 months.

In Gloucester you can still make the Midland runs, at least.

Cool. Nice to hear you've got a good job. :gay:

Gloucestershire is really nice. Parents used to have a cottage out near Ross-On-Wye. (which is in Herefordshire I know before anyone makes a smart comment, but Gloucester is not that far south)

Can I test out your gear change at the next pub meet, see if there is a difference to ours?

No probs Steve on the car. Fiona - I get kicked out of my digs here in 1 week - not really any easier to stay here than to leave.

Can't believe after 6 months of looking, finally my quest is over :gay:

Archived