litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Is Graeme Going To Win The Auction?

Foley

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I haven't told SWMBO... The PTP170 auction closes at Midnight tonight.

This auction thing is new to me. It's a bit keen isn't it? I was bidding on the ultra-light flywheel and was leading with a minute to go. Two bids were posted in the last 20s. I was ready to respond but with what I thought was 2 seconds to go, the page came back auction closed. (No, she didn't know about that one either).

Can anyone provide some advice:

- what is the typical time lag on a bid?

- if I'm trying to be in at the last, how late should I leave it?

- how does the auto-proxy bid thing work?

ta

Graeme

If its anything like ebay I usually wait until the last 20 seconds then put in my max bid plus a tiny bit (if my max was £50, put in £51.10) If the autobid is the same as ebay it will then bid for you automatically in small increments up to your maximum, so you may get it for £46 instead of £50 if someone else has a max bid of £45.

Good luck :clap:

Yeah, proxy bid.. you put your max amount in (say £3000), the bid will remian at the smallest amount required to win the auction.

So if you are winning at £2500 and someone bids £2600, it will change bid too £2610 (increment is going to be £10 in an auction of that amount) with you as high bidder... you will always lead until someone bids greater than you, i.e. £3010

So bid what you are prepared to pay and maybe add 5% to that, just in case, for the "i'd kick myself if i missed it by x amount" factor.

I would normally bid in the last 20 seconds too - dependant on connection speed, but with fast Cable like what i have you can leave it longer.

At the end of the day, work out its value, work out what you are prepared to pay, add a small amount and leave it. Just be prepared to do this in the last minute... though with an item like that, i don't think there is going to be a masive rush as £2500 ain't pocket change - well to most of us anyway!

Good luck though mate.. pencil me in for a blast when its done :clap:

Nope!

Went to my max (and stuck to it) and someone still beat it - just.

Will find it easier to afford next year, even at the full price, once SWMBO is earning a living again! Also gives me more time to look at the DVA alternatives again. Shame though...

Graeme

Archived