litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Removing The Cat...

MattyB

In my second techy question of the day...

I'm going to "attempt" to remove my de-cat and replace my cat it after Scott informed me of the cost of his recent MOT :D when he had to pay Horizon to do it.

However, I've been told that without a powered nut/bolt remover thingy I wont be able to budge the bolts/bits. After 12 months of heat cycles I've been told they'll be tough.

Any advice?

and while your here, and to save me hassling Wendy, what do Horizon charge for a B-Service? Ta muchly :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to my price list, B-service at Horizon is £229. As far as the cat bolts go, had quite some trouble in removing my cat due to one corroded bolt, but the others came off ok once given a good spray with WD40 and left for 10 mins to soak through, and that was after being on the car for 5 years. If its only been on 12 months I shouldn't think they'd be too corroded. Worth considering changing the bolts for stainless anyway as it only costs a couple of quid for 6 M10 bolts.

General concensus is that stainless bolts are worse than "copper greased" mild steel ones as the heat cycles bugger them up.

We shall see though as i have stainless ones.

You should be able to do it Matty... can't be too tricky to undo 6 bolts! The WD40 idea is good advice though!

Archived