litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Help Needed

Ade G

Hi People,

I am new to the club so a big hello to everyone

I need some help i thinking of buying a lotus elise but i not sure which is the best one to buy

I dont know much about lotus so any advice to me i would be very grateful

Many Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Base 120 is probably the best place, especially as a first Elise or first RWD car.

alternatively, 111S if it your only car, Sport160 if your a trackday nut.

Then you've got the choice of S1 or S2, but its personal preferance I think. Each has its own charm and advantages. £17-£18k can get you a good S2.

Actually, a guy I know is selling his S2 RaceTech. Its been well looked after, I went in it once before I bought mine. Its a good price too...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=23843&s=12

Tell us how much you want to pay first - anything between 9k - 30k !

I will pay up to about 13k new or used

I like to be quick of the mark and something quick

Any ideas which ones to go for

Also i am looking to put remote lambo doors on it

Does anyone know is there a lotus elise with this already or will i be first

Sorry to sound blunt, but you need to look elsewhere. An Elise isn't for you...you'd not only be the first, you'd also be the last :drive:

Sorry to sound blunt, but you need to look elsewhere. An Elise isn't for you...you'd not only be the first, you'd also be the last :drive:

what do you mean look elsewhere and a elise is not for me ?????????

The lambo doors was only idea

Hello Ade and welcome to MLOC - not quite sure what's gone on there since you seem to have posted loads of times. Regarding elises it's a bit difficult to say much without knowing what sort of budget you're looking at and what you want it for - some are cheaper, some are more for road use, some more track focussed etc.

You'll find that folks on here are basically reasonably helpful (most of them anyway).

In general terms you're probably best off starting from the standard S1 or S2, both of which are pretty quick, and quite easy to mod if you want to. Others are more pricey or more track focussed or more difficult to ugrade without spending quite a lot of cash. You'll also find that there are a lot of special editions (like type 49, 50th anniversary, 24, 79 or 72) but these are basically standard with different colour schemes and slightly different interiors/options. In terms of engines, on both S1 and S2 there is a 111s which is more powerful and a bit more comfortable, but also more expensive. For S1s there is a sport or s160, which is more powerful but possibly not so practical/good as an everyday car, but an excellent version. There's also the 340r, which is not practical at all, having no roof and really being for track work, and in S2s there's an S190, which is more powerful and similar to the S160. ALso exiges (roof not removable and very good for tracks) and the new version, the 111r, which is toyota powered and very nice, but not cheap.

If someone could point out all the stuff I've missed, that would be helpful...

Kristian :drive:

I don't understand tha lambo doors thing by the way - are you meaning the scissor doors?

Kristian  :drive:

Yes scissor doors

It was just an idea i would like to have a lotus and do it up a bit so it will be one of its kind

I do so hope this was a piss-take.

The Elise is the world's finest HANDLING road car in the world, bar none. It achieves much of this through its light weight and minimalist construction. To trick this up with GJOB doors like a mutant refugee from Evo you'd be left with a one-off, unsaleable monster.

If you want scissor doors, you'd do better starting with a Saxo or Corsa, mate, we're used to seeing mutants there but at least nobody else cares.

However, if you are interested in the DRIVING sensations an Elise can provide, "welcome to the gang!"

Graeme

Ade,

You must realise that the Elise is worshipped by the people in MLOC. We take a drivers car very seriously and the principles of Colin Chapman are the by-word.

Power, balance, grip, minimalism etc are what interest people in the elise. We are not the type of people that read Max Power and add lumps of plastic to the bonnet.

Elise owners do modify their cars, but most is concentrated around improving performance and handling. Go to Eliseparts.co.uk, Hangar111.com, Lotusecosse.co.uk to find out what modifications are common.

Neons, blue washer lights etc are met by torrents of abuse.

Drive an Elise and you'll find that it will blow away most cars (including supercars).

Buy an elise and you'll get hooked like the rest of us, and just as passionate about the principles.

Good luck.

Steve

Ade, we give grief to people who put carpets in there Elises! (you know who your are you bunch of puffs! :drive: ) Thats why people have reacted so strongly to your door suggestion!

I personnally would not do anything to the exterior, why mess with a design classic!

Plus they draw enough attention with looks as it is, you should have seen all the tourists looking at us when we drove through the cotswolds on the last run :clap:

Best to spend your money making a fast car even faster! I'm afraid after a while you do wish for a tad more speed even though fast as they are!

Archived