litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hi, Im New

Jay_Kullar

Hey Everyone,

Ive decided on getting an S1 now, and though it would be wise to learn about the elise before going out hunting for one.

Ive been driving FWD cars since 17 im 20 now. I had a Saxo VTR 8v which made PGTi it was a track day car, with 140bhp + 50bhp Nitrous. Naturally aspirated with high lift cam. It was stripped out to bare metal with a 6 point cage, cobra imola fixed seats etc.

Now i have a pug 106 GTi 1.6 16v with a Group N exhaust, 4-2-1, Carbon Fibre ram cooler (thats all the power stuff) and it rolling roaded 149bhp @ 6600rpm.

I wasnt planning on selling my gti until i was 21 but ive been offered good money for it so im letting it go.

The only car i want is an elise but im finding it hard to get an insurance quote, im 20 with 2 years no-claims.

Im in telford, do you guys have any local midlands meets?

I had a look at my first elise the other day and hurt my back trying to get into it, but once in the position couldnt be any better!

Still havnt drove one yet, any advise will be greatly appricated.

Jay

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I got my first Lotus Elsie few weeks ago and still miss my 106 GTI! (it's on the drive- tempting not to sell!)

Best quote i got was £1400, I'm 21 (just... in March!) but i've got 4 yrs no claims & a i'm a girl (no really i am!) so that makes a difference i think!

That was with Elephant.co.uk.

I tried to get a quote on a Subaru impreza but almost all the insurance co's will not quote until your 21! And Norwich Union just laughed (what do they know anyway!)

As to keeping the quote down my best tip is to add your mum or dad as named drivers. My mum's 50 something (although she'd say different!) but she brought my quote down by £150! AND for the record she will never EVER drive it!

Good Luck

Philippa

Hello Jay and welcome to MLOC

What Philippa says is good advice. Suggest checking out SELOC as well since there are definitely some threads kicking about on there about young drivers and getting insurance (you may need to search the archives). Basically it's probably going to be a git though (probably somewhere in the region of £1500 plus), so you'll just have to bite the bullet. Get an unmodified one to start with, which will be plenty quick, as adding mods to your insurance will make it hellish.

There are loads of meets, and the next run is in Shropshire, so why not come along and have a look? There's a thread in the events section.

Kristian :wacko:

Hey people,

thanks for the advise, i called my insurance company (admiral they said i have to wait until im 21) i get my 3rd year no-claims in november when my policy finishes, so i might have to wait until then but i dont like waiting.

Spoke with norwich union, direct line etc all say 21 :wacko:

I have only just turned 20 and insured my GTi when i was 19 that cost me 1600.

I will have to start doing some serious calling around to find the cheapest quote.

Philippa thats what i did on my policy put my dad on it as a named driver, he will never drive it as he always manages to kerb my alloys!!

I have just registered on SELOC and will browse around there too.

Shropshire meet sounds good, i used to be the midlands regional leader for the saxo sports club too.

Thanks everyone.

Jay

Hey Jay,

I'm occasionally in Telford visiting my sister, she lives in Shawbirch, not sure if you know it?

Nice place to own a Liz, some nice little roads round that way.

I got my Sport160 when I was 22 with 4 years NCB, and after *lots* of calling around, the cheapest quote I got was £1450 via Tesco. On a standard Elise it was about £1350.

Someone, somewhere, will insure you if your willing to pay frankly ludicrous charges. A guy I know is 19 and has just bought a Rover 220 Turbo, and he pays "over £2500" for TPF&T. I reckon you'd be looking at about £2000, maybe more.

Do some quotes online as if you were older and see how much you'll save when your 21 with 3 years NCB. You'll be suprised.

More folk moving from Pugs... excellent :)

I bought my Elise after owning a 106 Rallye and good as the Pug was, it ain't a patch on the Elise.

It is certainly worth phoning around or checking on the web, but you may be better off waiting until you are 21 anyway... like Matty i am with Tesco, 25 now (24 at policy start) and pay £780 on a std car. So rest assured, it does go down.

There's a nice Azure Blue s1 for sale in the for sale section here too.... :)

Alright matt, yeh i know shawbirch not to far from me. Agreed the roads are very nice around here. Yeh ive had a quote for 3.5k fully comp so far most companies say you have to be 21.

Scott im looking into waiting a bit, Ive got a PUNTO 1.2 2001 also that i use, i might put that on my name until november when i have 3 years no claims and then try insuring one. I will get £750 back from my GTi insurance too.

If i do that im buying a Motorbike for weekends (used to have one before) until i get an Elise, as thats the only car i want!!

If i do that im buying a Motorbike for weekends (used to have one before) until i get an Elise, as thats the only car i want!!

Good things come to thoses that wait! :D

Rockingham do Elise driving experiences which are good fun!

Your get to rag a Elise round a track and not really care cos it's not yours!!

I always say that philippa, but i hate waiting,

My gti has to go as the person who wants it, wants it so bad hes willing to pay quite a bit for it!

Rather try out some-one else's elise than my own, i put my blue saxo into a tyre wall at 95mph, ouch!

Have you done the the rockingham experience?

Jay

Yeah i did the experience a few years ago for a birthady, it lasts about 1/2 day you get to drive but also 2 passenger rides. when i was a passenger i got a old pro so he went as fast as he could (just hit 90mph) but then you have to brake ( as in i'm nearly throught the windscreen brake!). but all good fun.

Send your buyer my way!!!! i have no mods though!

You not put yours in the autotrader at all?

I put my red one in with a few mods, and it went with the first person who came to see it!

99 T, Red, 2 Owners, 44K, FSH, Leather, Lowered, 15 Rims, 4-2-1, Enclosed Induction, Scorpion System, Colour Coded Bumpers, B&M Quickshift. £5200 i sold that for.

Took the rest of the good bits off for my Yellow GTi.

no i havent advertised it yet...... needs a small repair!

Bin men kindly left a huge scratch down the side of it so i'm currently waiting for the council to find some sort of gear and get things moving! i refuse to pay out on repair until they agree.

Mines R reg all standard (just pipercross filter on it) i will go to autotrader though.

Archived