litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Car For My Mum

Bramble111s

Hi All,

Am struggling to find any selection within the spec....

4 seats, back seats for kids or grannies, so not too micro...

but 2 door is just about ok.

Folding hard top

vaguely sporty, asking a lot I know...

I know about the Saab, looks good, only a bit slow,

although seems the only option so far...

Little Peuget thing is too small

What else is there????

Do merc do a 4 seater SLK, CLK?

thanks!

bramble

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merk do a soft top CLK... i reckon next one will be hard top.

I think you're only options are the 307 CC or the Renault Megane one, neither exactly sporty... but if it has to have a hard top folding then i think that is about it.

If the 307 CC is anything like the 206 then rear room is tiny! It may be better, but haven't driven one.

If the 307cc is anything like the 206cc then don't expect the roof to work too well! Have you not wondered why you see so many 206cc's in lovely weather with the roof up?! Worried about it going down and staying there until a trip to the dealers.

So its the Renault or the saab then?

My Mum said, when viewing the Saab, looking at the 0-60,

is that as fast as yours then?

I said mmm, not really, it was over 10secs...

She wasn't impressed, having been out with me for a

0-60 trial session... :D

I think she would prefer something with a bit more kick.

I'm sure Brabus could do something bespoke on an SL55.. you know adding 2 seats or something. :D

Or maybe adapting the SL roof mech on the CL65.. would a Twin Turbo V12 be quick enough?

Why does it have to be a hard top? I quite like the new Audi Cabbie.

While were on the subject, and sorry for the hijack, but Scott - did you know that Simon Jobson has bought a Beetle Cabbie and is selling his Elise? ;)

Fair enough its for his wife - and he's now got his S6, which I was MORE than a little impressed on how well its lardy 1800kilos could hussle the B-roads...but still...Elise to Beetle Cabbie :D

Depending on budget then the best bets are likely to be mercs, saabs, beemers or audis I think, and those should be OK for space as well. Won't be blistering pace and many will have automatic soft tops rather than hard tops but all decent enough. The saabs seem to get good results in jd power surveys etc. Don't know if you can still get the volvo, C70 or whatever it was called but presumably you could get one of those with a pretty decent engine.

Would still well clear of the renault and peugeot personally since from what I've seen the back of them tends to be small for normal sized folks...

Needs to be a hard top as students walk past her house on a cut through... Already lost a hoover etc from the back seat due to having the windows smashed! Thieving Bar-stds big time!

I won't think the cloth of a soft top would last the week out!

I had a Saab convertible. very nice, all the toys and the roof never failed (although i heard that the motors tend to go)

The only trouble was that it was very slow (not sure of the 0-60) and it drank petrol like the tank was a sieve (30 mpg when "driving miss daisy") Anyone know what the others do?

The only other thing is the "skuttle-shake" if thats what they call it! chassis flex is another word for it. whatever. the saab had it but i think all the cars mentioned would suffer to some degree - a hard test drive would be required to see for sure!

Hope this helps

Steve :wub:

Matty.. that is alarming. Though to be fair on the few meets i was on, he never really drove it like an Elise should be driven.

New Beetle Cabbie are quite cool though, but certainly not an Elise replacement!!!!!!

Scott - what are you thinking???? The beetle is a girlie, posers, good-for-nothing car (IMO anyway! :wub: )

Back on the subject though - i have a mate who is in the soft top business and he agrees that the 206cc roof is cr@p but the 307cc roof is made by someone else so shouldnt have the same problems.

there are various manufacturers looking at folding hardtops including.....Lotus! no details yet but could be interesting!

:blush:

Really limiting your choices by having a folding hard top. Sure she won't consider soft tops? Audi A4 cabriolet is nice but expensive. I have to say, I have quite a soft spot for our A4 - it's huge but can be a real laugh. What about a Astra Turbo cabriolet?

Respect to your mum - mine likes her Lupo but would never dream of having a soft top.

Fiona

Archived