Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Sill Trims

daves2111s

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
No issues on my part because we cut the kits to order but I would be interested to know why no one ordered any of the sill kits?

Too shiny?

Too expensive?

I would appreciate any feedback ;)

Sorry to say, but too expensive. I know I stated in an earlier post that Halfords do a film kit (25:00 approx plus the fixing kit 7:99) So when you think of what it would take to make a template and then cut the film and fix you can see why someone might take this option.

To take this subject a bit further. I have old sill and decided to take another aproach, I bought some black FABLON made a template and then cut the FABLON to size.

I then cleaned the sill with one of those sticky cloths car sprayers used to collect any dust and the fixed the FABLON on the sill. Result, bloomin amazing looked liked new.

I made sure the FABLON just went over the round edges of the sill and I have to say to find the edge you really have to look hard and it is not shiny.

It would be good to keep the template in case you mark the sill, all you have to do is peel off the old FABLON (with the help iof a hairdryer) then fix on the new one. (Bish bosh lick of paint job done)

Naturally this will only work if there are no deep scratches on the sill, just scuffs, should take about an hour to do the job, remember you only have to make one template and reverse it for the other side.

Both my postings are ways to keep the sill in good order and both are redo-able.

As I have not seen Carlyloves protectors I aint gonna knock them in fact they may even be a better even though they are (in my opinion) rather expensive, but as the saying goes you pay's ya money ya take ya choice.

From a quick fix point of view I would and do agree with your solution BUT the film will protect from further damage and is actually a solution to the problem rather than a cover up to the scratches that will occur again.

A solution for those who are strapped for cash would be to get the film in short sections (say 1-2") where the heels of your shoes catch.

Looking at the alternatives HERE I think these seem value for money considering they actualy do the job, not just cover it up :)

From a quick fix point of view I would and do agree with your solution BUT the film will protect from further damage and is actually a solution to the problem rather than a cover up to the scratches that will occur again.

A solution for those who are strapped for cash would be to get the film in short sections (say 1-2") where the heels of your shoes catch.

Looking at the alternatives HERE I think these seem value for money considering they actualy do the job, not just cover it up :blush:

I have to say I do not agree with covering up already marked sills, I could not hack that. My Fablon was intended as prevention method (easy to make and replace if marked) not a cover up, and very cheap too. but your idea of a short section, that sounds like good idea, even simpler.

The ones that Eliseparts sell are for the S1 and not the S2 and they are even more pennies that the fllm ones you suggested earlier plus the they are replacements which mean they will need protecting (here we go again)

Archived