Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Soft Top Cleaning

Bramble111s

Had a fresh bird poop on my softop at the weekend,

I flicked it off and scrubbed the area with a wet sponge,

however when dry, one could see a water mark and also

some ingrained bird poop still.

I tried again with water, but its still not quite right.

I think I probally should have waited for the poop to dry

then brush off?

Any advice on removal of the offending ingrained mark?

Crossing my fingers....

:)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lick it.

If nothing else but to provide us with amusement :)

I should imagine some proper canvas cleaner such as the Autoglym stuff will work - i've often wondered about this myself, but so far have been "poop free"... there may be some old wives tale about using margerine and cooking oil or something, but i doubt old wives had much call for Lotus Elise cleaning, so its unlikely.

or you can buy a new soft top for eleventy million pounds and then get that pooped on on the way home......

the autoglym cleaner works.... ive always used that. expensive but cleans and waterproofs.....

:) -- nah

id go with the autoglym stuff, its always cleaned my soft top nicely ;)

2 years of ownership, first bird poop on my soft top last week.. pfff i used some water and a sponge, but will b autoglyming it soon

A big thumbs up for Autoglym. Costs alot but cleaned my roof up a treat. Looked "smashing" afterwards - then I used the sealant and the water runs off it like a ducks back ;)

Try that first, I think the "licking" thing should be considered a last resort :)

Okay, cheers guys!

Will pick up some autoglym on saturday

Scott I am willing for you to show me the roof licking option,

I may even pay you the price of the autoglym if it comes

up with a superior finish! Let me know when you are available...

Bramble - don't let him off that easily - I think that the bird poop expert needs to provide a live demonstration

How much is the autoglym stuff and does it waterproof too, or do you have to get that as well?

*chants* lick it Scott lick it Scott lick it Scott lick it Scott licklick it Scott it Scott lick it Scott lick it Scott lick it Scott lick it Scott lick it Scott lick it Scott lick it Scott :unsure:

Crikey!

£25! for some stuff in a bottle!

We are talking serious champers for that money, well the cheapo stuff anyhow!

Licking it could well be an option!

Will start saving for my Halfords trip on sat

I just use clean water and a sponge to clean my soft top, and i do the whole thing all in one go, so if there are any water marks, they cover the whole hood and you can't see them! :unsure:

You can get the water repellant that they use for tents, in a spray can for about £3 from millets and similar outlets. I've never used it on my hood though so i can't say it won't have any nasty side effects, but i can't see why it would.

Ian

The £20 (I think) gets you a cleaner and then a sealant - plus a sepcial "cleaning sponge" :)

Problem is they reckon you should use 1/2 the"sealant" bottle per application. Which is fine, except the cleaning stuff lasts about 10+ cleans!

Expensive, but it is good.

Archived