litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

The Elise Bug Is Surfacing......

JohnnyM

ok.... there i was mid winter thinking i'd done my stint in the S1 and now it was time to move on to something sensible....... everyone was saying it was wrong and that i would return, and still i did the deed and got a sensible car to replace the s1 thinking that i wouldnt miss the elise...... hey how could i miss the elise when i had heated leather recaro's, a 6 speed box, 6 cd changer and climate control......

well, here i am cap in hand.... i seem to have found myself stumbling upon the elises section in the classifieds on pistonheads a little too often and am thinking my return is inevitable, although i cant quite decide in what form......

am thinking s1 111s or 160, had a sit in a 111r in manchester a month or so ago and confirmed to myself that i preferred the s1.......

Johnny M

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a 160, great people drive 160s :wacko: I know of one that might be for sale at a good price too :clap:

What did you replace the Elise with then?? Mine might be going sooner than I'd hoped, and I know I'll miss it like hell ;):( :(

Matty....don't do it....trust me !!!!

im driving an st170 focus with every single option fitted..... its a great car IMO, but after the elise...... nah. i needed the sensible car for commuting to manchester and back each week, but im able to use the train now im not carting IT equipment all over the place.

Never thought i'd come back to the elise, but there arent many cars like it.

I'm extending my house, so will lose the garage for a year or so meaning my westfield megabusa plan is on hold, so an elise sort of sits in the middle of sensible car and mad thing.......

Johnny M

Me selling the Elise is due to both a house purchase (possibly) and also due to work commitments meaning I need the space.

I'm tempted to get a DC2 ITR and spend the change on a Westie, tbh :D

Johnny

Understand where you're coming from here as I now have an ST170 as well as the elise. ST is a really good car for a sensible option IMHO but not an elise replacement at all. Seem to be quite a few decent S1s going for reasonable money at the mo though so you should be fine if you keep your eyes open and wait for the right one.

Kristian :D

matty.... i looked at a dc5 itr (new shape ? or is it dc2...not sure tbh). not bad cars..... but not very involving for a 220bhp coupe.

was going to have the st170 and a megabusa westie, but decided that extending my house was mores sensible, so im looking at a compromise, and reckon the elise is about the best halfway. theres loads of vx's for sale for around 15k at the mo, but im struggling to like the look of them......

Kris - ST was never meant to be an elise replacement.... ive been doing on average 2.5k miles a month for the last 18 months and even with the carpets and the corbeau's it wasnt that comfortable at the end of a hard days work..... not that it was meant to be......

anyway, work has changed so i can potter about on the train now.... so im on the hunt for a decent s1 again.... :D

Johnny M

thats a matter of opinion scottie......

im not enough of a car geek to know whether pre-modded S1's have been done properly and reliably, and would rather stick with a factory approved spec. plus i love the look of the 160 with the victory rims and spoiler on......

Going to NW at lunch time.... hurrah...! :)

Johnny M

If you can hang on, my 155bhp LAD converted S1 will be for sale in a few months (upto 10 months depending on how soon i can bear to part with it!)

I guess youre not wanting to hang on though!

:(

Do let us know then Jonny... did you buy it?

Fair enough, i do like them, just don't really see where they sit in the market so am not massively keen on them tbh.

Certainly look good... but any std Elise can be made to look like one, but go better :(

Has nothing to do with me at all since I'm not an S1 owner (hooray) but if I was going to buy one and NOT mod it I'd go for an S160 since the extra power etc is there already. What's all this about S160s being hard to sell as well? Seem to get pretty decent prices fairly regularly, and that black one at NW is the dog's IMHO. :(

There are far more buyers for a lightly modded (or not at all) std S1 than the rather more hardcore, less forgiving, more expensive, thirstier, more expensive to run/insure S160... IMO.

True enough, but you can only buy what is available, so if there are fewer S160s than standards, fewer will be bought! Price will make a big difference though I am sure, since you pay a premium for S160s. Don't know if it's the same with S2s though - people seem to buy race techs, sports tourers, 135r, 111s and so on - I assume that there is a 'standard' one?

Anyway, I'm not going to buy an S160 and nor are you, so we both agree on that at least! :tup:

well his av seems to have changed.... and that car seems to have been sold... and its not sitting in my garage [worse luck] and id still have a 160 over a tweeked 'standard' S1, but thats just me :tup:

Archived