litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Janspeed Zorst And Manifold

spike

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cross posted on bcbbs to get a broader responce. seems like a big wedge of cash for not much, or am i missing the point? im gonna have to find out the dif between torque and power now lol

You will get more torque as discussed but the cost (with fitting) is alot. I would suggest the backbox and a hurricane or K&N. It will give you a little more BHP but will make it sound much better. I went for the hurricane but each to their own.

Ben

Yes tend to agree the back box and Hurricane first, then sports cat or bypass,

then 4:2:1.

I've got to the first two on mine and without doubt the car is quicker & sounds great too.

The 4:2:1 certainly will help the torque figure... which on an K series is in very short supply. I would guess the fitting costs are fairly high for the manifold too.

Might pop into Horizon and ask the question or perhaps just borrow their 275bhp 1.4ltr K series and pop that in :)

BHP should be about +5 with the sports cat.

Now for the downside............ it wrecks your mpg figures and tyres cos you just can't keep off the loud pedal ;);)

Dave ;)

Horizon are who ive been chatting to. They are getting me a janspeed zorst for def. I took my car back to them today cos it had developed a ticking noise.. turns out that its the joint after the manifold and before the cat thats got a little hole/crack in it. [is that the flexi joint? i have no idea :) ]

Might just get that fixed [they are calling back with prices] but i suffer seriously from what me and my friend call 'for a few pounds more' syndrom. Do i sort out just the problem, or, for a few pounds more.... change the manifold, decat [or sports cat, zorst and hurricane it up.... [ok so its more than a few pounds more, but you get the idea]

Bare in mind, the car is totally standard, and has been for my 2 years of ownership

All of this depends on the figures that Horizon come back to me with...

spike..

The exhaust can help you make a nice farty noise but the benefits of free-er flow are much less apparent if you don't push more mixture in through induction & head.

Fairly obviously, the hub of an engine is the combustion chamber and gains radiate out from there.

Get the head done if you want Bhp with bigger valves, porting etc. Inlet manifold & induction will help you get more mixture in and more agressive cams will keep the doors open longer to again get more mixture in as a maximum but to the detriment of torque & driveability at lower speeds. Once you get to 155-160Bhp, the standard CPU can't cope with metering, so you need to chuck it out for something more special e.g. Emerald (= big wedge).

Std S1 118Bhp

PTP Sport (Head + Inlet manifold) +20 Bhp

PTP Sport with ITG induction + Janspeed sports cat + exhaust + 5 Bhp

They don't insist on the manifold at this stage of development although they do for their 170 Bhp kit. Consensus is that although the Janspeed 4-2-1 manifold improves mid range torque, it may only be benficial in those high output engines where mid range torque was being compromised by big valves and wilder cams in the first place.

Conversely, Racespeed include a 4-2-1 manifold in their Rs150 kit, but then it's a Janspeed developed kit...

Graeme

Graeme

I would be interested in the price spike - I looked at the 421 a while ago and bruce (ragtop roasters) supply's and fits for £525.

I might be making an arse of myself (I am not a mech) but is the inlet the part after the throttle body and before the head ? If so can you change it on it's own and get an improvement as it seems to be part of all the head upgrades.

Ben (hopefully making sense)

Excellent... i'm at Horizon on Thursday if we bump into :)

I asked a few folk about the manifold and they said the hassle is fitting it.... gives a bit of midrange, and some noise.... i may get it done, but probably last!

Archived