litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Air Filters

jez_s

Hello,

Are there any benefits from fitting just a performance air filter i.e different sound.

I don't want to go down the route of fitting a sports zorst just yet!, but the sewing machine noise is getting a bit tedious.

I had a look on the Hanger 111 site and they have those ITG filters and they mentioned something about a 'different induction sound' whatever that means :drive: .

so anybody been down this road before?

hope everybody is keeping well

cheers

jez

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depends wat ur after in a air filter, most induction kits will sound better as it draws colder in into the induction stroke of car and secondly iy benifits your car as before it draws colder sir into the engine which in turn means better combustion which means better proformance. not used the hurricane system so i could quote on it, but u have used K&N on other cars and they seam good to me. aswell as better noise they also release a few extra horses, but don,t expect alot, normally between 2-6 bhp dependant on wat system u use.

baz

well it won,t give u that much more noticable sound to be that honest, best thing is to hurry up and get a sport exhaust. i got an elise parts one and it sounds nice and i have got a standard filter on at the min, but all stands somewhere i guess. :P

I'd get a hurricane as well. Sounds great under acceleration but silent when sitting in traffic - you'll notice the difference more adding it before a sports exhaust rather than after. For about £160 it's well worth it. ITG is another option but much more expensive. Also a couple of carbon fibre options on race-speed.

Kristian :P

Personally, I'd get the exhaust first. The Magnex (Lotus ) exhaust is decent and it might be worth phoning Nick Whale because they do offers on it quite regularly.

Having had the original exhaust for a month or so post-purchase I'd say it's the best thing we've done to swap it out.

When I get round to recording sound clip of our Magnex/Hurricane combo I'll post it up.

Fiona

If you just want to do the air filter and want a nice noise, not bothered about power then either the K&N 57i or PiperX Vector cone will do the job well. I had a PiperX on my S2 before I got a Hurricane, the noise was fantastic, much better than the Hurricane. It was a deep roar under load, but not too loud to be a pain, 57i will be similar.

You could fit a pipe to direct some cold air towards one of these, not a true cold air kit, but good enough. Cost for the filter should be around half that of the Hurricane at £75-80.

Followed F & S on a run. Nice noise without being wake-up-the-neighbours loud. Quality v Quantity.

Graeme,

Just put the hurricane on last weekend so a bit fruity now. Next mod: quick release clips for the front panels.

Fiona

Archived