litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Oz Wheels

Maxf

Thinking about getting a set of OZ wheels - cheaper than the lotus prices if poss and not fenced through ebay.

It strikes me that the fronts are the odd size (6.5x16), while the rear are more normal 7.5x17. What is to stop me sourcing a pair of rears from a 'normal' wheel place - the first search I did came out at £180 a piece for 7.5x17 for OZ 'Supertourismo' wheels, which seem identical to the ones Lotus sells. Then source the odd sized fronts from Lotus.

Lotus charge over £1000 for the set, so with only paying £360 for the rears, leaves £640 for the fronts - I'm sure they do not cost £320 individually - do they?

Am I not looking at something completely obvious? I assume lotus fittings would just be standard rover/ford/proton :wacko: stud pattens - just a case of finding out which.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Max

If you have a look on eliseparts.com there are some converters which allow you to use just about any wheel on the elise. Apparently you can even adapt to fit peugeot wheels, should you be daft enough to want to. :wacko: BTW I think 17" rear, 16" front are standard sizes on the S2 but I think that the S1 may be smaller.

Kristian

Remember that the converters act like 20mm spacers too. Not recommended. Cant imagine it can do the handling any favours. And as far as I'm aware, the PCD of the lotus wheels are really, really odd - standard patterns on most cars are 4x100, 5x100, 5x112 etc.

The Lotus, IIRC, is 4x98.5 or something. I'm pretty sure its a unique PCD....but don't hold me to that.

Oz SuperT's aren't the same as the OZ ones on the 135R I don't think, if those are the ones you mean. More like the Superleggra's, which are the "lighter" ones.

Oh, and S1 is 15" front, 16" rear :wacko:

ok mate be really careful here with wheels....i got a set of adaption hubs from elise parts and fitted 17'' x 7'' all round( look smart as hell)..but since i,ve put on these wheels i have spun the car 3 times, and on one accasion actually spun a 720 which is a bit hair rising i can tell u.

the lotus stud pattern(PCD) is a 96.5 mm i beleive.....ford for example PCD is 108 mm so lotus fitmant will not fit at all. the only other ppl i know that make wheels in a lotus size PCD are MG and Metro. bus these are hard to soucre after market wheels. also with changing your wheels u need the correct spricket rings, dropping from wheel size to youe lotus size stud pattern.....which no one does, closest i found was a 100th of a MM out which isn,t to bad until u hit over 100 mph

hope this helps u out, learn from my mistakes.

That about sums it up by the looks of it - it can be done but doing it may not be the best idea in the world - I'd say with a car like an elise which needs proper balancing etc given the fairly demanding stresses and strains put on it messing with the wheels may not be too clever all in, even if it's possible. If you've had a proper geo done you'll know how different the handling feels before versus afterwards.

Kristian :wacko:

I guess my original post wasn't totally clear - I wanted to get the lotus spec OZ's a bit cheaper - not add an 'aftermarket' maxpower type of setup.

I guess the only option is paying Lotus money for the OZ's - shame the mark up is so high compaired to similar/identical wheels, made by the same people, with different stud pattens :wacko:

Simon - look at Brooke Kensington who do seem relatively cheap if you're being quoted that second hand. Mind you I've done a bit of a scout around myself and can't come up with anything much better than you've been quoted for the Oz/48s/caps etc from Sinclaires, although like Scott said, wouldn't be hugely surprised if horizon came back cheaper.

Kristian :wacko:

Brooke Kensington offered me a set of OZ's with AO48's wheel bolts and caps for £1550 including vat, give Simon a call.

Speedline are bringing out a new set for the S2 in the next month or so, cost should be around £600 for a FULL set. They should be reasonable light weight as well. I like the new Lotus mototrsport forged wheels, the ones on the US Elise motorsport option, cost around £1125 quid I think, not sure if that includes vat!

Archived