litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Burning Smells

Gareth

After giving my Elise a little heavy right foot i noticed a smell....actually smells like a burning clutch...is this normal? Im worried that something is wrong so im kinda hoping you lot tell you get it all the time as well...

Thanks

Gareth :D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be....I seem to remember having the same feeling the first week I had mine. Weird burning smell. And also when a ahem... a Rover dealer test drove mine to check the suspension it did the same thing

I think its just getting used to the car and how the clutch works. I wouldn't worry.

You'll probably notice every noise and smell for the first couple of months, until you realise there's so many it's not worth worrying about. The brakes can stink a bit if you give them some enthusiastic use.

I'd recommend a 1st Lotus day, maybe with a few of us, then you'll find out excatly what the car is capable of and, if you're like me, how little the driver can be capable of :D

Looking back through the paper work they havent been changed recently.

MOT was on Friday and had a "A" service 2 weeks ago. I did notice the coolant level was sitting on min so i topped it up. Put it down to its long drive home!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

First thing there, coolant should be at the minimum level when cold.

As for the smells etc, like folk say above, you will notice them initially then you'll get used to them as being part of the car... mine used to stink on a hot day after a blast, used to it all now :D

Mine smells a bit (in a nice way!!) but i think it's down to the heater matrix leaking a bit. Other than that it's fine! Although i do notice a lot of heat (heat haze) coming form the engine cover? Is that normal! Can't rember it being as bad in my MR2?

Got the carpets last night and managed to fit them in one night (1930 till 2230) They look great and cut a surprising amount of noise out. I'll try and get some pics uploaded to my garage. A bargin at £125 and you get a pair of "elise" mats with then too!

Other than the burning smell, are you enjoying the car yet? :D

Wow, you fitted them in 3 hours, doesn't seem so bad.

And u say they are great?!?!?!?

Perhaps I do need them after all.

Were fitting instructions included, does one need glue, screws etc?

Were their any really hard bits to fit?

Let me know, u may just sway me to a carpet lover.....

They come with instructions but it's fairly straight forward. You just need to make sure the velcro sticks to the floor properly.

The passenger seat isn't to much fun to get out and the speaker pods at the back are a bit awkward. It'd probably be quicker and easier to do if it wasn't dark and -1c.

IMHO it's worth doing. the carpets weigh very little and it makes quite a difference to the amount of road/engine noise. Plus you get a new set of mats. They normally go for £30 - £50 on ebay :)

Although i do notice a lot of heat (heat haze) coming form the engine cover? Is that normal! Can't rember it being as bad in my MR2?

Yeah I get that too, normally when it hits 85+. I figured its normal, after all, its pretty warm under there. The steam floating off my rad always concerns me, despite how many time I hear "TADTS"!

Archived