litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Auto Electrician Please Help!

whitewedge

I have just ordered a new multi function relay unit from Luffield MG Rover Loughborough £68.99 bloody expensive for four relays in a plastic box!!

Excellent service from these guys, and they deliver for free in a 30 mile radius.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a few hours checking wiring diagrams and checking voltage, I have come to the conclusion it could be the ecu at fault. When switched ignition is on, the fuel pump relay clicks on then goes off after a second or so (fuel pump not priming), when I turn the key to crank I just get the starter relay clicking. But the only relay that doesn't work is the main relay, which is trigered by a white and pink wire from the ecu pin number 54. There are no breaks in the wire and no power coming from the ecu. I checked power going to ecu pin number 80 and its fine. Pretty sure its the problem but not sure how to check ecu.

Has anyone got a spare ecu they want to sell? or has anyone got anymore ideas?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Right here we go... this is the type of situation I wish I could lie about, but I want to share my experience or stupity to other members.

I have got the car running today everything works as it should, basically what I did is connect a lead that powers the main engine relay in MFRU to the earth on the starter motor, it should have gone on the positive.

Simple as that folks.. It has been 5 years since I removed the engine so you can't blame me. The reason I thought it was an earth is that when you look at the end of the lead near the ringlet its black, which you would assume is negative.

Anyway I am embarrassed and red faced writing this, but if it helps someone in the future that's all that counts.

Thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way, particularly Martin R, also want to give a shout to Martyn L on Seloc for all his help. 

I am going to press the "mark solved" button now which I thought would never come!!

Cheers guys.

Thanks looking on the positive side I have learnt allot of how the MFRU works, the immobiliser, and the ecu. So some good has come out of it. Also how many good people are out there willing to help. I hope in the future I can help one of you guys, I know it sounds cheesy but that what its all about being a Lotus family.

I'm a lurker here Jake, and occasional visitor, but hadn't been in for a while...

Glad the U2U's and trouble shooting help I gave over on SELOC helped you out - bloody annoying, electrics... I'll not go into all of the fun I had when I DIY'd my Honda conversion a couple of years back! If I'd known you had a thread over here, I'd have popped by and stuck all the info on here, for reference. 

Glad you're up and running again.  More importantly, you now understand a bit more about the cars electrics, which will help the next time... yes... the next time! ;-)

Take it easy.

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn will have to check out your thread then, bet you have ran into some serious problems with electrics. That's probably why your knowledge especially with the ECU and MRFU was so helpful to me.

Taken off the front discs today to get them skimmed, filled gearbox oil, refitted bulkhead panel carpets and seats, then tomorrow going to pressure bleed brake and cluch fluid. Then coolant change and then once I get the discs back, going to do a shakedown up and down the road, to check everything is ok, after that it will be time to put the rear clamshell back on etc..

Need to do a search on here for coolant change as I have fitted a modified PRRT from a land rover, think the process might be diferent.

Cheers buddy

Jake

Archived