litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

One For Dr H And Kurt...

Reg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers. I have heard it before but still amazes me how they are so calm - and posh!

Can't imagine what it must have been like to actually go on a raid like that.

Another one here:

Richard Dimbleby went on a raid so he could report for the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0187bbk- amazing to think you'd put yourself at that sort of risk but I guess that's what war reporters do.

Thanks Reg. I can't listen at the mo, as my toddler is surfing on my back and cuddling my head!!! I'll listen later.

My best advice is to avoid war reporters, it always kicks off wherever they go ;-) !!

Cheers,

Kurt

That was a good find Reg. Good crew resource management there,"Don't all shout at once"!

They must have had nerves of steel. On my first flight in the Lancaster, in the bomb aimers position, I concluded it was noisy, draughty, and only about 1.2mm of aluminium skin to protect you from the elements and 20mm canon rounds. They were vulnerable beyond belief.

Luckily my sortie was over Lincolnshire at 4000ft on an April afternoon. It was an air test and tested both the clean and dirty stalls of the aircraft, and asymmetric handling when engine 4 was shut down in flight. The aeroplane was thrown around quite a bit, but it was insignificant to the commands by many a tail end Charlie, "Corkscrew Right Skipper"...

Archived