litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How To Make The Car Sound A Little More Sporty?

Jamie Triner

Loud, the Elise can get there very easily, Lucas and I have these for the S1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Earplugs-DIY-Custom-Molded-Silicone-Earplugs-Make-Your-Own-Personal-fit-Earplugs-/231206713116?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item35d4fe771c

To be honest not so necessary now I have a silenced decat but with the 4-2-1, normal decat and larini, they were a must!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to do trackdays, keep as quiet as possible, I used to have a full janspeed line and it produced 100/101 db... Stainless steel is loud. I had to quiet the thing down, it's now 92...

The k series has a nice noise when it is lightly modified. The manifold is the thing that may give the best of all. A silenced decat will also give a lower tone but not a loud one.

For info, the bmc cad is loud and required a few extra bits. I got mine when replacing my old hurricane because it was cheaper and i could reclaim some bits from the hurricane kit.

Just beware the 111s is pretty finely tuned (even though std exhaust sucks) and mods may slightly decrease performance , when we did a rolling road think Jamie on here with the Red 111s managed to squeeze a few more bhp out of his but think he had done work on the engine too. I lost about 11bhp with zorst and induction on the system. Dyno showed I had more mid range torque but was running lean. Was good to compare both identical models. So it may sound good but you may lose a few horses. If I recall, I was running hurricane > 421 janspeed manifold (this gives a nice rasp) > sport cat200 > larini club sport silencer ...sounded nice though bit like a rally car when it poped

You got that at a great price.

If I were you I would clean it before fitting so you will need a cleaning kit, the k&n stuff will work fine (you can get that from halfords)

As it is a s2 you wil probably mount it straight off the throttle body rather than through a 45 degree bend as on mines my photos earlier in the thread.

The small length of silicon pipe may do but if not ebay is your friend.

You will need a hammer, hacksaw and possibly some more m5 buns and bolts (they may be m6?) to fabricate the mounting bracket.

You may also want to get some real ducting rather than that cheap plastic gear that comes with the kit, again ebay is your friend, and I would go 2 ply

Archived