litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Funny Noise From Engine

JAMES

Just got back from a drive and towards the end I could hear a high pitched noise like a seagull was stuck in my engine! It gets worse the more revs you give it. Could just be a slipping belt or something but its got alot worse now and I don't really want to drive it incase it gets worse.

Really don't have a clue what to do about it as I'm not the greatest mechanic in the world :bangin:

Are the RAC or AA any good at looking at things like this?! Anyone had any experience of them?!

Any help much appreciated guys :wacko:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it makes this noise with the car stationary, At a guess James, it probably is either the alternator belt slipping, or the alternator bearing has gone.

If you run the engine with the car not moving and all the electrics, lights, radio etc. off, does the noise go away ?

If it does, I bet it is just the belt slipping. As you put more electrical things on, it increases the load on the battery/alternator and this may be enough to start the belt slipping if it's not tight enough. It might just be slipping anyway.

If it's not related to electrics being switched on and the noise appears to be coming from the engine bay, just behind the driver's head, then I think it's possibly the alternator bearing. If so, this will need a new alternator. Apart from the noise, it's OK to drive far enough to a garage for a second opinion.

If I were you, I'd drive a mile from the house and call the AA/RAC if you're a member, they'll diagnose it, and if it's a loose belt, probably fix it too.

I'm assuming that you would have mentioned if the battery light on the dash was on etc. There are a few other things it could be, but this is probably the most obvious.

Good Luck,

Niall

Cheers Niall and Steve :wacko:

Yeah I did think it could be the alternator belt slipping after having another look just now. Hope it is that simple! If its not I'll look more into the alternator bearing.

I was also thinking about driving my car a mile away and calling out the AA :bangin: Great minds! I'm not a member at the moment though so will join tomorrow I think.

Thanks again guys...hopefully have it sorted by next Sundays run if I can make it :eek:

James

Screeching is normally a belt slipping. The bearing is normally a more gradual thing, but it can screech, water pump bearings also can screech when they wear, but I doubt your car's old enough for it to be that.

The alternator can suffer on elises because it's quite close to the exhaust and therefore can get hot. It's normally a problem on tuned Elises, rather than standard ones.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Niall

Right...Took my car into Cd Bramall and they said they'd have a look for me so I left it with them for about 3hrs while my girlfriend and I went shopping.

Got back and they told me it was the alternator bearing and that its not really safe to drive but they can get it sorted for me by Thursday. So asked for a courtesy car, 'sorry there all out at the moment' great so now what are we going to do?!

We ended up having to pay £50 to hire a Fiat Seciento (however you spell it) to get us back home while they have my car My girlfriend was not happy at all!

Really takes some getting used to driving, feels like I'm in a van! All my family and friends were pissing themselves laughing

Anyway thats how I've left it now, just hope theres no more problems. Looking at the new Elises, look alot more finished in my opinion and I want one now really bad!

Cheers lads :(

Archived