litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Engine and gearbox oil

lotusnut

I hate to start a thread like this as my first post because every man and his dog has an opinion on oil....but im gonna anyway. First of all hi to all you guys (and maybe gals? very pc), and i'll get on with it.

Having been through Mobil, Castrol, RedLine, 76, triple R and motul to name but a few, I have finally found an oil that seems to do everything it claims. I have not had the chance to conduct a strip down yet, or even to show a conclusive long term test, but Since I started running an oil called Royal Purple (which im told isnt particulaly well known in the UK,have any of you ever heard of it?), my gearchanges have become a little less noisy and the engine is running a few degrees cooler. I also run water wetter in my system, and had been using Red Line, but having been quite impressed with the claims Royal Purple make of their equivalent product (Purple Ice-I thought I was drinking that in the pub the other night?).Still,back on subject, the purple ice has dropped the temp by a few more degrees.

I would like to get all your experiences and opinions. And can anyone give me any more info on the Royal Purple? At the moment I only know one other guy that uses it.

Thanks for taking the time, and I look forward to getting to know you all. I have talked for along enough, so im gonna shut up now.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I leave the oil changes to the Garage..

I've never heard of royal purple, or in fact most of the other names, are these additvives or are they actual oils??

Wuddie

p.s Welcome to the group

They are all oils. I dont use additives. They can be bad news if you dont know the exact additive package in the oil (which you inevitably dont).

I am presuming the ones you have heard of are mobil, red line and castrol.

Motul has been popular on a few other forums I have looked at, but I wasnt that impressed with it. 76 is fairly new over here, and I was not at all happy with that when I got some. Triple R is the stuff that Lotus champion, but its only pretty standard oil with an average additive package.

Thanks for replying.

I just Mobil one myself, its what the dealer uses as well so see no reason to try anything else.

I could probably find something just as good for a slightly cheaper price but I dont think the saving is worth the time spent looking :P

As long as its a decent quality oil you will be ok, the frequency of the changes will likely have a much greater effect I would think on the engine wear.

Never heard of Royal and wouldnt use water wetter in my engine as its no good for Elises, can turn our coolant to mush I believe in combination with the aluminium engine parts.

Most people just get the dealer to do routine servicing, but im an engineer (not automotive,industrial),so I have a reasonable knowledge of engineering and try to do the less complicated stuff myself. I refuse to pay a dealer when I can change the oil myself for the price of some oil and a filter. It also means I know exactly what oil I put in, and dont have to worry about the quality of the workmanship. I wouldnt atempt anything really complex though. I looked at that engine oil bible and it has some interesting points. Alot of people would do well to follow the advice on there.

Been through and watch with interest the oil debates myself many times.

Although the different engine oils have various properites and advantages other another it seems that the difference although measuarable is small. More important is to have regular filter and oil change with the correct viscosity.

Myself in the engine I use Mobile 15-50w as it tends to run hotter in a mid engined configuration and lotu oil pumps always seem a bit low pressure at low viscosities.

Where a bigger change can be seen is in the gearbox oil for the transaxle. The viscosity, friction co-effient and temprature degradation can have marked difference to the cars gear change. Again regular changes are paramount to long life. Most oils have a different set of stats and can end up lossening/tightening, quieten or change many other factors. Important part in a midengined transaxle car is heat efficency as the transaxle tends to get a bit hot.

I have heard of royal purple and has a big following in the UK racing groups. Good under stress and high tempratures.

This is all IMHO so don't hold me too it and I shall deny all knowledge B)

Forgive spelling cant bother to spell check :talk:

Archived