litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exhaust emissions too high

Leeroy

High, I'm new to this site so excuse me if I'm asking a daft question.

I've owned my 98 Elise for around 4 months now, I drive it every day and think its a blast.

I took the car for an MOT today and it failed on the emission test, as the Lambda reading was too high. The mechanic said I may have a problem with the CAT or the lambda sensor. He also reckoned that a lot of K series powered cars suffer on this test and that a petrol additive and a good thrash, to get the engine temperature nice and high, might do the trick.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so was the fix relatively painless?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually heard that before, taking it for a blast has gotten it through the MOT! ;)

If not do you know anyone local with an Elise that you can borrow the cat off maybe to see if its that or the lambda sensor?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get the car through the MOT. Once I'd got the under tray off I could see that the standard Mild steel tail pipes were heavily corroded and the right hand pipe had a hole in it.

I've replaced the rear silencer and tail pipes and the Lamda reading has fallen significantly. I guess the hole was allowing more air to mix with the exhaust gas, giving a lean mixture reading from the tail pipe end.

Archived