litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Knocking Sound From Steering

Red Devil

I have recently picked up my Elise. :D

However it seems to have developed a strange knocking sound when I steer - mainly when I steer left!!?? Is it meant to do this? The steering doesn't seem to be affected but I am a bit concerned as I have only had the car for 2 days.

It's a MK2 sport 135 model - done 12000 miles.

Many thanks.

Steve

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve, is the knocking coming from the front or back, not always easy to tell? Could be from the rear, in which case it could be your toe link joints have dried up. Both mine were replaced under warrenty on my S2. One in particular dries out as it is next to the cat. You will notice the noise at slower speeds and usually when turning or going up/down a kerb.

If it's from the front, then it could be your steering rack, ball joints etc. How many miles has the car done?

Possibly the UJ are loose - it is a known problem that the upper and/or lower UJ will loosen over time. A quick tighten will resolve the issue.

As you have just bought it (and in any event within 6 months of purchase) I would return it to the garage to sort out :)

Archived