litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

2nd Car

No 10

I’ve had my Elise for about 6 months now and I completely love it. However at the time of purchase I also had in mind getting a 2nd car as a run-around as I do lots of miles and visit lots of construction sites which does my elise no good at all.

I was wondering if many of you have 2nd cars, what you’ve got and what the insurance is like on a 2nd car. I know nothing can compare to my elise but I think there are a few cheep cars around which could be fun to throw about.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hee Hee, had to get in first with this one as I am sure no-one can beat my 'super dream power lineup'

Nissan Micra, alloys and everthing!!! :drive:

Skoda Octavia (actually an excellent motorway cruiser and family car!)

james :wacko:

Ford Mondeo. Not exciting, but bought secondhand and great value. Transports the wife and baby and fulfills all my DIY / wet/snow running requirements! :wacko:

Tesco wouldn't mirror my NCB onto a second car, but for some reason would my wifes. 5 yrs NCB made the Mondeo insurance pretty reasonable.

Chris

A Lotus Elan +2... doesn't move though :wacko:

If you are after a 2nd car some insurers will mirror the NCB, some won't... but there is no point getting anything brilliant, something cheap and cheerful is the best idea, just transport. I do have access toa couple of runabouts if i get really stuck.

Got a few cars for sale if you want something cheap to run but aren't over-awed by image

L Reg Cavalier

K Reg Rover 820i

C Reg BMW 528i Auto

The last time I mentioned this everybody laughed at my choice! However, the car was worth it's weight in gold yesterday in the snow. Stuck it in 4WD and sauntered home easily. Kept the Elise safe in the garage - and was the only chance I've ever got of powersliding this car.

...Suzuki Vitara.

S reg yellow Punto Sporting. However, that's soon to be swapped for a Honda S2000. Insurance is currently £270 with 6 years protected NCB. Will rise to £770 for the Honda.

It's good fun - not drastically fast but very chuckable and (I think :wacko: ) still looks good.

Copes very well with the 110 motorway miles everyday.

Also have an Audi A4 1.9 Tdi company car. Executive barge but good power from the turbo. 130mph (allegedly - ahem) top speed.

Fiona

Richard,

Yes. Had a good year at work and decided might as well treat myself to something. Looked at replacing the Punto with something about £8k - a Barchetta. Didn't like the drive, tried an MX5 and MR2 - not special enough and the budget is creeping up. Looked around and saw you could get a Y reg S2k for about £18k and that is a lot of car for that money. Had a few test drives and it's won my heart.

May put off getting it to November now as I may have to move to London with work which will mean a house move. Got the money sitting and waiting but I don't want to buy a car I will may only use for a few months and then have to sell on.

Fiona

Fiona, i've been driving around in an old Nissan 100NX through the winter - my mums old car. Not great for image but glad my Lotus can stay in the garage in this weather. Did you prefer the S2000 to the Elise?

Did you prefer the S2000 to the Elise?

For me, I wouldn't say they are comparable really. Elise to me is the ultimate seat of your pants drive.

First time you drive a S2k you'd doubt the 6 sec 0-60 time. It feel sluggish at low revs and you really need to alter your driving style to get anything out of it. It doesn't really come to life until most cars have hit the red line.

If I want to get the most out of it I will constantly have to change down gears to get it to move. That's not a bad thing - the gearbox is stunning - but it fits the kind of driving to work I do really well. I can decide to plod home in 6th gear and have a relaxing drive or I can decide to take the back road and rag the arse off it :D.

When the VTEC kicks in it's like a kick in the back :wacko: but you've got the option of doing a full journey home and not VTEC'ing at all.

Handling was good but really twitchy in the wet. Cars from 02 reg onwards had a suspension setup change to calm it down - this can be performed on the older cars at the dealer.

Roof was much faster too :drive:

Fiona

but very chuckable

Sorry Fiona...but no they're not !!!!

One of my friends has one and though general handling is very good, agility wise they struggle immensely :wacko:

A LOT of car for the money though. The red interiors are quite nice and motorway driving is a pleasure compared to the liz.

Love the engine...Im looking at Integras at the moment.

i did a bit of a review a while back on them. and an Audi TT. Its in the archives somewhere if you search.

but very chuckable

Sorry Fiona...but no they're not !!!!

Jon,

:oops: Sorry for the confusion :D. I was talking about the Punto Sporting in that sentence - not the S2k. Not comparable to the Elise but good fun to fling around.

Agree with you - S2000 is not chuckable at all.

Fiona

The last time I mentioned this everybody laughed at my choice! However, the car was worth it's weight in gold yesterday in the snow. Stuck it in 4WD and sauntered home easily. Kept the Elise safe in the garage - and was the only chance I've ever got of powersliding this car.

...Suzuki Vitara.

I know I laughed last time but can I laugh again?

Actually, I have a td4 freelander as my second car so feel free to laugh back. :D Completely and utterly agree with you about the snow though. Doddle with 4wd. Still don't understand all those folks gaylording about in standard saloons etc - it was just a bit of snow FFS, and they weren't driving elises. Saw one bloke doing 10mph in a range rover on a main road about 100 yards behind a gritter. What's the point?

Archived