litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus / K Series Mechanic near Sheffield

foxy76

Hi all, new member here! I got myself an Elise (2002 111S) last spring after promising myself one for the last 20+ years. Love it, but I now need a few things doing.

My first priority this year is the timing belt(s) and water pump.

I've considered doing it myself, I'm lucky that I have space in my garage and it's not my daily driver, so I can take my time. I've seen a very good video online of a standard (non-VVC) engine being done, but I can't find much about the VVC belt and the manual tensioner.

Otherwise I'm going to have to find a garage to get it done.

Any advice, either on doing the job myself, or anyone vaguely local would be very much appreciated.

I also have some scuff damage on the front corner underside of the front clam. Again, possibly tidy it up myself, but would be good to see how much a bodyshop would charge. So any recommendations of a place that is familiar with fibreglass would be good.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

I live in Sheffield too.  The guy I used to use regularly in Sheffield closed down a couple of years ago unfortunately.  The nearest (best) place I have been using since is Gav at Unit 4 in Burton, but it’s over an hour away.

There is nobody closer that I know of unfortunately.  Other places I have taken my S1 too don’t have a clue.

Bodywork wise, I’m in the same boat.  I need some spray work doing, but again I think it’s a bit slim pickings in Sheffield.  I was going to take mine to John Bee for a price.  He gets good ratings (and has a pick of a lotus on his main web page).

Duncx

Yes Swifts has been demolished, and they have built apartments/student flats there.

I think he may have moved temporarily, but I haven’t been able to find him since.

A friend has some work done on his transporter at John Bees recently and was happy with it. He's quite picky and was happy enough. They are used to working on Lotus apparently too as they used to do work for the Lotus dealer in Sheffield when it existed. I'll be taking mine up for a quote for a few bits when its back out at some point.

For the mechanical work (and actually the bodywork) I've been going to pay a visit to John Ashley in Rotherham aswell. They seem to have a very good rep in Alpine circles and turn out quality work (they seem to do a lot of TVR's too) but I'm sure they've seen a few Lotus in their time.

Archived