litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Limp mode

Random

Hi

So over a week now my car has been giving issues. Went into limp mode on the motorway and got to a services to be towed to a garage. Dan at HPE has been amazing and super helpful but he is struggling to see why the error codes seem to be changing and now the car is stuck in limp mode and we have gone from valve timing sensor error to throttle sensor error. 

Obviously can't go around changing all the sensors but the idea is, the ECU is the problem. Has anyone had this happen before or even more of a stretch is can I borrow a ECU as a test but that's a long shot. Currently I'm looking at going to a dealership. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly throttle body related for a Toyota elise based on your description.   Here's an extract from seloc thread where limp mode issue was cured via replacing thottle body 

Good luck 👍 

Just had similar with mine last week - code was:

P0638 - Powertrain - Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance (Bank 1).

After searching for the code, turns out it's a generic one which could mean any of:

Pedal position sensor malfunction
Throttle position sensor malfunction
Throttle actuator motor malfunction
Dirty throttle body
Wiring harness, loose or dirty connections
PCM/ECM Malfunction

Looking on Seloc other people have had success in cleaning the throttle actuator/butterfly, replacing throttle position sensor or an ECU update.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the reply and I will pass this info on. The reader gives basic info which I'm told only lotus dealers can read the ECU properly to determine 🤦🏻‍♂️

Much appreciated. 

Archived