litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Limp Gearstick!

ankh

All,

Newbie advice I'm afraid. I haven't had my Elise S2 Racetech for that long so can't remember if this is 'normal'. I think not...

My gearstick doesn't 'spring into position' when it's flicked into neutral. If I push it over between 1st and 2nd, that's where it stays, when I'd expect it to spring back to between 3rd & 4th, i.e. the 'middle' of the gearbox.

Can someone confirm this is bad. Assuming so, is it an easy fix for a complete luddite?

Cheers

Rich

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how the elise's work to be honest but normally its only a small spring under the car that pulls the gear stick to the centre (between 3rd and 4th). It could well be something simply like this has become disconnected or simply stretched. I'd check that first.

Hope that helps

Mark

Don't know about S2 but if it is similar to S1 have a look at:

Gear Link Upgrades

IIRC the springs are at the end of the cables in plastic sleeves/boots

I have upgraded (Ebay is your friend!) mine but it's still a bit floppy, alot better than it was mind (97R reg so probably a bit tired!)

There are several adjustments that can be made down there.

I upgraded mine in the car park in 2-3 hours so if you are nimble enough you can (In a Haynes manual style!) * :unsure: just* remove the undertrays and have a look....

Worth a look anyway just to familiarise yourself with the gubbins down there and the mighty K :wacko: (I think that's what yours has!)

And change those mild steel bolts!

HTH

Rich :)

It is usually that the bolt holding the rod connector to the bell crank has been tightened to much. This will mean that the gear lever doesn't self centre when in neutral.

Take off the rear undertray and the mesh to get access to the gear linkage stuff. You don't need ramps with the S2 as there's plenty of space to slid underneath.

Loosen off the nut a little (easier if someone else is in the car to check the effect on the gearstick). Use the Eliseparts guide posted earlier for pics of what you should see. Maybe worth checking if you have the old rubber bushes or the upgrade kit and you do that at the same time.

Get some copperslip (or similar) and grease up all the connections.

Put back together and test drive.

Now marvel at what an engineering genius you are... :unsure:

Archived