litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hot Vulcanized Tyre repairs (for DD)

Daveb99

I have a nail in my 1 month old Michelin Pilot Supersport on the BMW - it's just a whisker outside the range where it is classed as a minor repair that can be plugged by most tyre places.

It doesn't seem to be losing pressure but clearly I need to get it sorted.

So given that the tyre is so new and a new one is about £170 fitted, after doing some research I found out about hot vulcanized repairs where it is repaired with new rubber and baked - and then (almost) as good as new.

Apparently it only costs £20-£30 if you can find somewhere that does it - and therein lies the problem....

So far I've found a place in Northants (Wellingborough), and one in Staffs (Stone) but wondered if anyone knows anywhere closer - Leics, Warks, Notts - given that I'll probably need to take them the bare tyre and our other car is electric with limited range......!

Any help / advice would be appreciated - pics attached of the damned nail!

f0858e6bd50a1398acaeee2178643be1.jpg77d6302ec7886e49451f5c785d9dc02a.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a spare? If it's not loosing pressure it may not be all the way through. In which case you can just pull it out. Put a bit of spit (or fairy) on it and see if you have any bubbles appear

Haven't got a spare - though I do have a full set of winter wheels & tyres so I could put the winters on the rear and drive carefully if I had to take it anywhere (i.e. if it deflates after pulling out the nail).....

Looks like it hasn't lost even the slightest bit of pressure - I've checked it again this morning and it's exactly the same as the other side.   

I did think about pulling it out, I think I'll check it with fairy liquid, jack it up, remove it and have a go.

Brief update - removed the wheel and the nail (bloody carpet tack!) and it's definitely punctured - leaking air.  Now booked in for a hot vulcanised repair while I work at our other office - total cost £22.   Bit better than £170 for a new tyre....have the winters on the rear now though so I'll be taking it steady!

Together with yours truly fixing our dishwasher (new heat pump) last week, that's £470 saved, quite chuffed my Dad brought us up to be practically minded ;)

Sorry about the non-Lotus content but thanks for the advice Stephen.

Hi Dave.

spooky i have exactly the same problem with my daily runner, nearly new tyre, in similar place, 

my good fortune could be that i live 8 miles from Stone.....

whats the name of the company you contacted there? I might pop over tomorrow.

If yours has gone their and i can be of any help, let me know

rich

Hi Rich,

Very spooky....! It's Stone Tyres. They do hot vulcanising for truck tyres etc and will be repairing mine after I drop it off around 8am tomorrow, then it will go in the enclave for 3 hrs with all the truck tyres etc they do. I'm then picking it up late afternoon. I'm going to work in our Crewe office while it's being "cooked"

I spoke to a guy called Dan - very helpful chap.

Archived