litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

340r Wheels On My S1 135?!

Joff135

I have seen some photos of someones 340r alloy wheels on their S1...looks really smart...i will try and post a pic below!

But...there are 2 types that you can buy...the original mags which sell for over £1000 (2nd hand!) or the alloy type which Lotus gave out with quite a few 340r's because they ran out of mags...had to send them out to the owners later on!

The alloy type are £500 per set...without tyres obviously.

Is it worth the extra money for the mag type...anyone out there got some...had any problems with them. I have heard that they can getted totally f**ked if you hit a pot hole or kerb hard...and will then have to buy another wheel as can't be fixed if a bad knock? But, they are damb light...half the weight of a set of a S1 wheels! Any thoughts out there?

Oh...this is the photo with the cheaper alloy type:

post-1074-1129329875.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh...by the way...the alloy type is 25% lighter than the original S1 wheels!

I know Victories look smart but they are actually about 3 kg heavier than the original set of S1 wheels!

Here area couple more photos of the alloy type:

post-1074-1129330272.jpg

post-1074-1129330330.jpg

thin spokes dont suite the body style of the s1 imho.

victory's look great and have upgraded on 2 of my 4 s1's.

yes heavier but add to the feel of the steering ?

and look fantastic !

A lighter wheel would IMPROVE steering feel surely? Less unsprung weight makes for more accurate tracking of the road.

Apart from the additional cost, I wonder why 340R wheels were never offered as an option on S1 - Lotus missed a marketing trick? Could it be the S1 is too heavy for the wheels? Pure speculation and would have thought a healthy safety margin would be built in!

The pictures you show above suggest new hubs would be required too.

Personally I like them, but would be more attracted to the weight saving than the aesthetics. Then again, weight saving has not exactly been a way of life for me...

I think there are one or two other wheel options for the S1. Compromotives? (think thats what they're called). Or another type that look similar to your pics. Tony d on seloc has them on his motorsport s1, looked good when i saw them a donny.

Rus

Sorry - dont like them.

Make the rims look 12"  B)

How do you mean Chris?

Apparantly you don't have to change the hubs...it is recommended that the standard 36mm bolts need changing to the 340r 42mm bolts...but SteveB and other people say that they have done a straight swap and all is fine!

What about the magnesium wheels...any thoughts on corrosion problems etc..?

I just think that as the have so many spokes, and they dont seem to go to the very edge of the rim, the appear to look smaller than what they are. They may suit the 340r but I dont think they suit the S1 [my opinion - 100's may urgue]

Sarah has 16's on her MGF Trophy 160 but the design on them make them look bigger than the 17's on my CTR.

Archived