litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Need New Shocks

dss123

Hi Guys,

It's getting to the point were my S1 needs her suspension looking at.

Now, I know what I want to fit and it starts with a big letter "N" (can't even say the word, the temptation is too much!)

Trouble is, I am currently running LSS and I love the firm. raw ride. I don't want anything I buy to be a downward step or too "plush"

So my question is - can I get the S2 set up - but spec it to mach my current LSS stuff?

I know I can match the ride height - I'm not bothered about height adjustment - I've never touched mine since I've owned the car.

Is it possible to spec spring rates to match LSS. I'm sure I heard that some people fit Exige springs - or is the ride firm enough with S2 springs due to the weight difference between the S2 and S1?

Or should I just save up and get what I really want although it's probably OTT for the amount I use the car and I shouldn't be spending that kind of money on suspension when my kitchen is still a building site!

Any thoughts welcome (but please don't say I should buy the Nnnnnniitte (nope still can't say it)

Dunc

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunc, Most people on here can recomend S2 susp (me included)

Either that or have a word with Scott or Mike Horizon about Ohlins!

The Bilsteins are the cheaper option, and Graeme much prefers them to the LSS on his car after he sold the other car with S2 kit to grey Knight.

If you fancy test driving an 111s with S2 to try, give us a shout!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

That's very generous of you.

I'm thinking I'll probably last the year but it is dedinitely a job I plan to do during those long winter nights along with my short shift and linkage upgrade that has been in my garage for months!

Just out of interest, what ride hight are you running?

All the best

Dunc

You may find some second hand LSS suspension from someone who's upgraded to Nitrons. Try SELOC or other forum classified sections.

This may give you a few years to save up for what you really want. I would go for the Nitrons as you'll only be thinking "I wish I'd bought them" if you get something else.

You'll be pleased to hear that S2 Bilsteins have much the same spring rates as your S1 LSS. Ride is much better too, due to better control valving on the Bilsteins, so better handling AND ride - a win-win!

S2 stuff is perfect if all you want to do is drive on road, and not 'arf bad on track either. Nitrons can be made to ride more compliantly even than S2 stuff, thanks to adjustable damping, even with some very stiff springs fitted, but at £560 for S2 (from Steve Butts, set to 110F, 120R) and about £1100 for Nitrons (and a £240 rebuild every 2-3 years), you've got to be very sure about how much extra benefit you'll get from the Nitrons.

Afaik, the Ohlins Scott is running are still something of a work-in-progress for Mike at Horizon, and pricewise may end up the same as Nitrons, whereas there was a hope they could usefully undercut. I'm still waiting to see, because my S1 LSS is tired out too...

The s2 stuff is a very good upgrade for any s1. I know i have it, and was more than happy with the outcome.

Same old story though you get what you pay for with this upgrade. Like you said its wether its worth the amount you'd use it.

Talk to Scott if you want some more S1 LSS.

His are only about 18 months old, I think, and complete with stiffer Exige springs. Doesn't need them now he's running Ohlins.

Steve J ... Fingers in ears la la la la la I can't hear you.

Graeme ... sounds like the S2 stuff is the way the go - cheers for explaining it all.

Dave ... might take you up on that offer of a spin.

Spoke to Steve B and from what he says the S2 set up sounds ideally suited to my requirements. He also told me that he sells Nitrons.....swine!

Cheers

Dunc

P.S. is there a market for second hand S1 LSS with 30k on them? Still functioning very well, just a tad clunky!

P.S. is there a market for second hand S1 LSS with 30k on them? Still functioning very well,  just a tad clunky!

Stick em on Ebay. Be honest and i bet you'll easy get £100 for the set. Maybe more.

S2 LSS is quite a bit stiffer than the std S2 stuff. I've only driven to work this morning (having only fitting them last night) but theres a hell of a difference!

YYou'll probably get more than £100 for LSS... i've had several people bite my hand off at £250!

Am still waiting on the guy who i gave first refusal too though.... they may be back up for sale soon!

Archived