litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Avo Coilovers

pizzaboy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that 'cheap' adjustable dampers are bit of a lottery.

They use a variable needle valve construction (imagine a hole with a pin in it) to control the damping characteristics. That is when you adjust the damper, you move the tapered needle in the hole to adjust the flow rate. This leads to inconsistency, better adjustables use machined holes of precision diameters, so when you adjust, you change to a different precision hole.

IMHO, you're better off with better fixed dampers, rather than cheap adjustables. With dampers you really do get what you pay for.

I think the best upgrade route for S1 suspension is S2 suspension for around 500 quid, or Nitrons at around 1000.

Mark (or one of the other suspension wizards), feel free to jump in and tell me this rubbish.

My 2p

Niall

I just think If 90% of the time im in the city im not likely to feel the full benifits of precision tuned dampers such as the holy grail...nitrons. I feel Nitrons are appropriate only when their level of use involves regular track use/b-roading. Tootling about in city traffic all the time on a £1000+ suspension setup is a bit of a waste.

AVO have been used by a handful of elises in motorsport with good reports and appear to be fast becoming the "acceptable" alternative in regards to a more affordable set. Plus they have a very good rep.

But I hear what your saying niallf tar for the info mate.

As Ben says, with dampers like Spax, Avo etc they are measured to check they are okay but aren't sent out as a set, so can be different from one damper to the next.

Also don't be fooled by comments about dampers on race cars, these are very rarely the same damper that you will buy (although it looks like the Ginetta championship are getting std road based units).

For what you plan to use the car for S2 units are your best bet.

Elise is an icon as the best handling sports car you can buy. Why ruin it with one of the most important components to give it that reputation?

Alternatively: If you spend that much time in the city, why have you even bothered with an Elise?

Aha I didnt know about how they werent matched like that. Well thats enough to put me off considering them. S2 Billys are on the cards but I heard of the AVOs and wanted opinions. But in light of this new info screw it.

Elise is an icon as the best handling sports car you can buy. Why ruin it with one of the most important components to give it that reputation?

Alternatively: If you spend that much time in the city, why have you even bothered with an Elise?

Well I dont want to ruin it. Thats why I ask for your opinions on this board in regards to products for the car. Unfortunately the most important component must be one of the weakest designed dampers ive ever had on a car. Its a shame that an icon like the Elise had such crap dampers to begin with, that we all have to run out and buy 1000 quid units to bring it up to scratch.

Im sorry but throwing over a grand on suspension on any proven sports car such as the Type R,Evo etc will make the handling absolutley superb on those vehicles too. In regards to city driving? Well its my daily drive and yes 90% im in traffic but for that small 10% of the time I have the best drive ever and, to me, that makes owning the Elise worth it.

Go for the S2 set up - great improvement over the std Koni's. Even feel great on the track. Not sure where you are but if you want to try my S1 with S2 stuff on it, let me know.

Your right, it doesn't matter where or when you drive it as long as it rings your bell:)

I have Avos on my elise, they were on it when i bought it.

I originally had a few problems with them, as they are incorrectly sized at the front for the elise, and when i first took the car to Mike for a geo it was all over the shop (higher at the front than the back). But he fitted new brackets to the front, had them machined, cleaned up and set up correctly. And now they are fantastic, i actually prefer them to the standard s1 suspension. However i never adjust them, and leave them at Mikes special settings.

Both Mike (horizon) and Andy Walsh (carlimits) have driven my car and neither have made any comments about it not feeling right, Mike said that it dug into the corners beautifully, and i'm not sure what Andy said, i was screaming too loud!

HTH

Archived