litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Head Question [pic]

christurbo

I bought my liz about 1 week ago.

Whilst swapping my K&N, I had a good look at the head, ----- It looks BRAND NEW compared to the rest of the engine, really clean, and very silver looking.

It has full lsh, and loads of reciepts. [no receipts for a new rebuilt/head]

Do you think that the guy before me had a new head installed?

I would expect the bottom half of the engine to look the same colour/condition as the head!

Ill try and get some pics :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might have had the head gasket replaced and they just cleaned the head up nicely before they put it back on? possibility anyway.

Looks like you need a new cam oil seal from the first pic, its leaking a bit.

Rus

Steve/anyone - do you have that oil deposit that i have [first pic] at the end of the cams??? - it doeasnt drip so not much of it comes out!

Is it a cam seal leak etc, is it a huge job to put right?

If not whats the prob???

There are no other leaks what so ever around the engine, and she is running like a dream [touches wood!!!!!]

I'd be more concerned by the amount of oil pissing out of the cam seal to be honest.

Lower cam carrier head section does look clean, whereas the top cam carrier section looks dirty, bizzare ??

Ding, penny just dropped.

Hows about the cam seal is pissing out, and the previous owners hav used carb cleaner on the ally head to "clean it up a bit"

Best have a good nosey at the seal first mate.

I just had a look through the elise service manual but can't find much about the cam oil seal. I wouldn't have thought it was very hard to do by the look of it. Never had to change one before so not really sure whats involved. not much use really am i !

Rus

Just checked mine. Rusty but no oil.

By the looks of the leak I'd just wipe it clean and keep an eye on it, till the next service. If you need an approximate price give Horizon a call and ask them what the damage is likely to be and how easy the job is.

Good side affect could be that the cam end won't go rusty :lol:

Archived