litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

To Buy Or Not To Buy!

itbestuk

Hi,

I have a dilemma which I have been considering for several weeks.

Its very simple in principle “should I buy a Lotus 111R or not” now as this is a site dedicated to the pursuit of the lotus I would imagine that the response will be Yes buy one there great!

But let me share with you my concerns; I have read many road tests on these car and I have even test drove one myself which I did enjoy! So I have no issues with the way the car will handle or drive every report has given it the thumbs up. But my problem lies in that this will be my main car apart from my girlfriends Golf so it must be right in all areas:

How practical is this car for everyday life?

Will I get used of getting in and out of it with the top on?

How will it cope with motorway driving?

Is the maintenance highly expensive?

Is the boot just too small?

Should I be looking at a Boxster rather than a Lotus?

Is the lotus quick in the low revs or does it only impress in the high revs?

Should I get the black with red leather or black with black leather?

Is it comfy?

Should I get the Air con?

Do I need a hard top?

Should I wait for the air bag to become an option?

Any advice would be very welcome,

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure someone will answer every question for you, I will just say...

BUY ONE! You wont regret it!

I put up with an Exige as a daily driver (25k miles per year) so a 111r is a breeze in the park compared to it! :P

Yes, it's worth it. Yes, it is easy to live with. Mine is my daily drive and it still makes me smile every day to and from work after 3 years, it's a great way of getting rid of the stress after a hard day at work.

If your partner has a Golf why worry about space?

If your worried about maintenance costs surely you must cross a Boxster off your list, i.e. dearer to buy, run, insure, maintain and they get stolen more often.

Never had a hard top, would never use it, my roof is off at every opportunity especially through the winter nothing can beat a blast on a dry cold day.

and finally if you don't crash it you won't need an airbag................

Daz

Not as pratical as a Boxster

Yep. unless you have severe back problems,Boxster is easier.

Depends how good a motorway driver you are

No,cheaper than a Boxster

Depends on what you want to carry around,its only got one though.

Have you driven a Boxster?? What did you think of it??

Its quick in both,Boxster has more tourque

Black/Black

Is it comfy?

Its an Elise...you want comfy,buy a Renault

Expensive option,roof comes off..manually not electrically,ala Boxster

Do I need a hard top?

Not unless they're giving them away free.

Maybe buy a Boxster.

All imho,

hth

Regards

Jon

- Use mine as an everday car for past 18 months- no problem

-Yes, very quickly (a day or two)

-Fine, no probs

-Do a search for "Horizon Motorsport"

-For what??? Don't mean to be pedantic but it is what it is- you decide what you need to put in it. And you always have the Golf for larger loads.

-All I know about Boxsters is that every man and his dog seem to have one.

-I have an S1 so can't really comment on the 111R

-Perosnal choice

Is it comfy?

-I can drive mine for hours and feel fine- the S1's were known to have VERY thin seats. I imagine the 111R is better

-If you want to be cool on a hot day. The S1's do get a little warm, but it's not the end of the world.

Do I need a hard top?

-I haven't bothered, no probs

-I have the fiance! :P

Any advice would be very welcome,

-Go for it! What's the worst that can happen??? It doesn't fit your lifestyle- you keep it for 12 months, enjoy it, sell it- maybe loose a bit of cash- but at least you've done it and found out. My guess is that once you've got it, it aint going nowhere!!!! (Mine isn't!)

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks

Hi

I agree with everything said above - you should get one! :P I just wanted to add a few thoughts about the Boxster as my girlfriend owned a 2.7 02 plate for nearly 3 years from new...

I never really enjoyed driving it. The engine sounded great but it ran out of revs too early, as you do have to give the Elise a boot to fully experience the acceleration - even more so in the 111r with its extra cam at 6,2k. The benefits of this is that the Elise is relatively easy to drive at low speeds. The steering wheel was comically large (the new version still has one like a Ford Scorpio!) and as a result I didn't feel connected with it. It just never felt as quick or exciting as the incredible sexy Elise :clap:

The Boxster is also everywhere and I think it's arse looks like a bumblebee... and that the new version's front looks cross eyed thanks to the new lamps! Hang on, this is getting personal :tank:

The S2 Elise does have a practical boot (bigger than the new MR2's), but you have to use all of the space to the back right & left to take full advantage. This often means having to unpack some of your shopping in Tesco's car park, pack it in to the boot and then re-pack it in your drive way! But if I where you, I'd use your partner's Golf for big shops.

Both Lotus and Porsche dealers/service centres are ok - the only risk with Porsche is buying from new and something called the 'options list'! Although th base price of the standard 2.7 is around £32k, this can easily get to £38k at the blink of an eye as you add decent 18" alloys, Cd multi changer, leather, etc, etc,

I think that's about it - don't buy a wannabe 911, get a proper sports car!! :lol:

Good luck mate, Rich

HI

I HAVE HAD A S2 111S ELISE & NOW HAVE A S2 EXIGE

How practical is this car for everyday life? TO BE HONEST IT DEPENDS ON YOUR LIFE STYLE. IF I WORKED IN AN OFFICE IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR ME BUT AS A PHOTOGRAPHER ITS IMPOSSIBLE - FOR ME ITS A SECOND CAR.. BUT WOULD LOVE TO USE IT EVERY DAY.

Will I get used of getting in and out of it with the top on? YES. I FIND IT VERY STRANGE WHEN I GET INTO THE PASSENGERS SIDE EVERY KNOW AND THEN

How will it cope with motorway driving? NO PROBLEM

Is the maintenance highly expensive? CHEAPER THAN MY 4X4

Is the boot just too small? WE HAVE HAD ENOUGHT LUGGAGE FOR TWO PEOPLE FOR A WEEK AND A HALF IN EUROPE PLUS LAPTOP AND CAMERA BAG. IF YOU ARE A REGULAR AT B&Q IT MIGHT BE A BIT SMALL

Should I be looking at a Boxster rather than a Lotus? ANOTHER GREAT CAR, NOT AS FUN AND ONLY THE BIGGER ENGINED ONE IS ANY GOOD.

Is the lotus quick in the low revs or does it only impress in the high revs? CAN BE, DEPENDS ON DRIVING STYLE

Should I get the black with red leather or black with black leather? BLACK & BLACK, BUT ITS PERSONAL TO YOU. RESALE WISE BLACK TRIM ALWAYS LOOKS GOOD.

I WOULD QUESTION BLACK ON AN S2 BECAUSE I DON'T THINK IT SHOWS THE LINES AS WELL AS SOME OF THE OTHER COLOURS. WHEN I SAW MY EXIGE IN MAGNETIC BLUE ON A DARK OVERCAST DAY IT DID NOTHING FOR ME. BUT WHEN I SAW IT ON A SUNNY DAY IT LOOK VERY DIFFERENT AND I JUST HAD TO HAVE IT. I WOULD SUGGEST YOU HAVE A GOOD LOOK AROUND ALL THE COLOURS AND SEE THEM ON CAR.

Is it comfy? 2500 MILES ACROSS EUROPE IN A WEEK ON A MIX OF ROAD AND IT WAS FINE.

Should I get the Air con? I WOULD ESSPECIALLY IF YOU ARE HAVING THE HARD TOP.

Do I need a hard top? NO, BUT I WOULD BECAUSE I LIKE THE LINES OF THE CAR WITH THE HT, BETTER FOR STREET PARKING AND LESS OF A WORRY WHEN LEAVING THE CAR.

Should I wait for the air bag to become an option? NO. PUT THE SEAT BELT ON.

IF YOU UPDATE YOUR PROFILE WITH A LOCATION SOME ONE LOCAL MIGHT TAKE YOU FOR AN EXTENDED RIDE IN ONE.

I HAVE THE S2 EXIGE WHICH IS HIGHLY SPEC'ED SECOND HAND IN THE FOR SALE SECTION. WHICH WOULD WORK OUT CHEAPER THAN A 111R WITH FOR MORE BAG FOR YOUR BUCK. MIGHT BE WORTH THINKING ABOUT.

NEW IT WOULD BE £ 36,000 TO SPEC NEW AND SELLING FOR £ 27,300.

Archived