litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Track Preparation

Steve J

Am I going to need towing eyes for the car incase it goes for a swim in the kitty litter?

Also would the remote stat kit be advisable? I was thinking of this anyway as the temperature isn't stable (fluctuated between 87-106 today).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You NEED the towing eye - wont let you out without it.

The remote stat does keep things steadier admittedly. Though im not techy and not sure how it works exactly. Plenty of cars haven't got them so I wouldn't be overly worried.

The remote stat doesn't directly help in a track environment. It is primarilly meant (as far as I know) to reduce temperature fluctuations and prevent head gasket problems. When everything is above, say, 90deg everything is fully open and flowing in the system regardless of whether you have a std or remote stat, so there isn't much temp variation.

There are two functions in the Eliseparts kit - one is a lowered temp range of stat which means the engine water is cooled by the radiator from a lower temp. This means that the difference in the engine water temp and the radiator water temp is not as great when the thermostat opens and therefore the engine does not see a sudden change in temperature (which is not good for head gaskets). The second thing is that it repositions the stat away from the engine, so when it does open the cold radiator water has chance to mix with the warm engine water before meeting the head/head gasket. Again, this is a good thing.

If you warm the car up before going on track and it is a warm day, then you won't gain anything by fitting it. Conversely, on a cold day and not warming the engine you would give the head gasket the best chance possible.

Overrall it is a sensible piece of kit to fit (although I haven't splashed out yet), but its benefits are more road based. You can also fit the lower temp stat without fitting the remote pipework.

The thing that is of track use, particularly on a hot day, is an oil cooler. Apparently things can get pretty toasty in there without one. I wouldn't worry for the odd day, but if you do a lot then I would definitely consider it.

I meant the rear towing eyes (available from Elise parts) not just the one at the front.

Only the front one is obligatory. Suppose the rear ones would be useful depending which is the quickest way out of the gravel. Last year at Mallory I slithered marginally off (Scott remembers...) and would have had a lot less gravel in the sills if they'd been able to pull me out backwards. Instead, was sort of dragged further in before getting out.

But no, I haven't bothered since.

Very pleased with remote stat & oil cooler, fitted at the same time pre- Le Mans. Ran in all that heat at a steady 80-82C when moving but still climbed to 102+ & fan in traffic: hot's hot irrespective of the means of regulation. Cost an awful lot for peace of mind though, though I do intend to do a lot more track days in future.

I meant the rear towing eyes (available from Elise parts) not just the one at the front.

Last year at Mallory I slithered marginally off (Scott remembers...)

So do I :lol::lol::lol:

:):D

Going to need some bloody big winch if I get in Graeme's stuff.

About time you did some proper competition days Graeme, come on, have a bash at a PB :D

PB?

Did my share of competition in FF1600 back in the '80's. Bit pricey to do it for laughs now.

I have your PB from Mallory too matey

Scot was 1:04 you were faster until Gerards :)

Could have whooped his ass G !

PB in the '80's FF - what about now though, still got it ?

What was you best tracktime and where ? Love to check that out :lol:

You want more track days, what about sprints for fun AND PB 2005 ?

See you Sunday at Donny.

Regards

Bob :lol:

Archived