litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Wheel Camber.

transglobal

Afternoon Folks,

This is what I call "Elise weather", even up here in Scotland. Beautiful.

Had a new track rod ball joint fitted to the drivers rear wheel a few weeks ago and since then, when you look at the car from the back, it looks as if the passengers side rear wheen is sitting at more of an angle than the drivers one. Make sense? Spoke to a mate and he said two things. Firstly, with having a fibreglass body the body work tends to "move" in different weather. Secondly, he thinks I'm seeing something which isn't there.

It runs straight, I've had it laser alinged and everything is in line, the steering wheel is central but I still reckon there is more camber on the passenger rear wheel than the drivers one.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried measuring it? You may need to make/modify something but should only cost a few pounds - 1 appropriately lengthed spirit level, 2 bolts to act as points, maybe 4 nuts to lock the bolts to the spirit level, assemble it and hold it up to the rim similar to the item at the top of this:- http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/align.htm . It should be easilly accurate enough to tell if it is just your eyes or an actual (significant) problem.

Thanks.

I'll do some measuring checks and see if it reveals anything.

I notice from looking in the engine bay that the two drive shafts running out of the block to the wheels are at different angles. Again, I've been told, "thats the way it is". The car handles fine so maybe I'm after something which isn't there.

I haven't looked at the driveshafts on mine. For sure they are unequal length so they will definitely be at different angles when viewed from the rear. If the gearbox isn't in line with the back axle centreline (which is feasible, I don't know the design) then they would be a different angle when viewed from above too.

Spot on. The gear box is slightly in front of the block 9I think) therefore the shafts come out an angle when running to the wheels.

Have you had any experience on the body work moving due to different weather conditions?

I've never noticed any distortion due to temperature, but that isn't to say it doesn't occur. I'll keep an eye on it!

If the reports of the development of the Elise are true, then it is said that the stylists were were asked to add to the width of the buck (from which they make the body mould) in order to take account for shrinkage. However when the panels came out they reputedly didn't pull in as much as anticipated, thus leaving the body with more overhang to the side of the wheels than intended by the stylists. Whether its true I don't know, but its a good(ish) story.

Wheel camber on both the front and rear is adjusted by adding or removing shim plates inbetween the hub carrier and top ball joint plinth.

I doubt these would of been touched if you've had a track control arm ball joint fitted. But hey I am no mechanic.

To put your mind at rest you could try and have a look yourself if you can get underneath, to see where the top wishbone ball joint meets the hub carrier. This is where you will find the (very rusty) shim plates that alter you camber.

Daz :P

Archived