litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Rev Limiter

m.Woody

I understand what you are saying Zircon, but for a couple of hours of investigative labour charge (even at the thrifty Horizon rate) you could replace most the major suspects and if you are wrong then you still have the components as service items/spares. Just depends on whether you want to get stuck in / get your hands dirty for cost or interest reasons, or want minimal hassle and don't mind paying or not learning first hand.

Definitely horses-for-courses :lol:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have it booked it for investigation at a mates garage tonight , he has a gubbins to read the fault codes on ECUs (hope it works on this type), will post a progress report later .

He is going to phone around his contacts and see if they have come across a simular problem "give it a service and see" is his only other idea

so when my new Janspeed exhaust, decat and KnN 571 are fitted i will send it over to him .

He is going to phone around his contacts and see if they have come across a simular problem "give it a service and see" is his only other idea

so when my new Janspeed exhaust, decat and KnN 571 are fitted i will send it over to him .

We tried to help, but your not listening, good luck, bye :(

Chorton_1 - well noted and taken :D

We tried to help, but your not listening, good luck, bye  :( ???

Chorton_1 - well noted and taken  :D

not sure the relavance of that !

I have noted everything said , my mates snap-on gizmo checked out the TPS and was ok

I booked it in with him for a service (including cap&leads), he said bring it in when you have fitted your exhaust, decat and air filter , if all this fails I will have no option than to bring it on a transporter all the way from North Wales to Horizon but that will cost me £250 plus so it is saved as a last option

We tried to help, but your not listening, good luck, bye  :( ???

Chorton_1 - well noted and taken  :D

not sure the relavance of that !

I have noted everything said , my mates snap-on gizmo checked out the TPS and was ok

I booked it in with him for a service (including cap&leads), he said bring it in when you have fitted your exhaust, decat and air filter , if all this fails I will have no option than to bring it on a transporter all the way from North Wales to Horizon but that will cost me £250 plus so it is saved as a last option

The relevance old son is that you don't take your car anywhere where the vehicle itself is not known properly.

Your mate in the garage may be trying to help you, but if he isn't familiar with it ....

What were the voltage readings on the TPS and does it give a clean change in voltage across the range from no movement to WOT ?

Fitting additional parts to a poorly car (exhaust, K&N etc) is a bit naughty until the car is properly diagnosed.

How about Christopher Neils garage, thats nearer to you isn't it ?

Not touting for business for Horizon either, their own reputation is all that is needed.

Chorton_1 - well noted and taken :(

Aw shucks......... :D

As stated by myself and others, the problem sounds very electrical. Go through the list I put on my original post and see where you get. The first group of items is very DIY'able (just only remove one plug lead at a time when changing them so as to preserve the order they are in).

If it were me, I'd buy all the 'service' items and change those (plugs, leads, dist cap, rotor arm). You can pop around the corner to your local parts place and have all this by lunch time. If you have a friend whos done it on any car before you could even have replaced them over an hours lunch break.

Then check crank sensor/TPS as far as possible (e.g. visually and with a multimeter).

Then buy/change coil (can be checked to a small degree with a multimeter, but can break down under load and its very hard to check - replacement is more sure fire)

Then buy/change crank sensor.

Then buy/change TPS.

At this point it becomes a bit more serious and then professional help is probably required (if only because the items become too expensive to buy/replace without being sure).

The only other thing that it may be that is a service item is a blocked fuel filter (cheap and easilly replaceable too). Its unlikely to be the pump as these usually either work properly or don't work at all. If it really were this though I'd expect more of a brief stutter before cutting out, hence why it appears electrical.

Thanks guys ,I am away this weekend(Mini showdown,Avon raceway) so i will have a go at it starting on monday , I will order the bits tomorow (will save them being changed when my mate does the cambelt swap)

I am a DIY mechanic and have built several mini engines (and a few others ) but what i have no experiance with at all is fuel injection or maped ignition or ECUs but i guess i am going to have to learn

the reason i took it to my mate first is that he is a fully trained and qualified technician (Ford , Mitsubishi) and he might have spoted something that I (diy bloke) had missed

I am a fully trained and qualified Auto Body repair technician (panel beater)

Archived