litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Battery Warning

Gaz_R

Hi All,

Was just about to have a good thrash 'round the Derbyshire hills and noticed that the battery warning light on the dash was on (while I as still in garage) B)

I thought this may be nothing at first, just as I had just started up so I went down the road a couple of miles but was still on. So I came back to look at the driver guide which says it may be the akternator belt having failed or an electrical fault. I can't see the alternator so can't easily check. :D

I have aslo just noticed that when I start the car, all of the dash lights come on again and the speedo & rev re-set again (like when you start the ignition to position II) which I don't think is normal ...?? :)

The car was used yesterday for quite a few miles - it doesn't sit not being used. I did also wash it yesterday over about 2 hours and had the CD player on while I was doing it. B)

It is due for an A service but was wondering what you thought. Can I still drive it in this gorgeous weather or is it going to sit in the garage crying?

Cheers all, Gaz

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on above -

Went out for a bit in the car this morning to see if the light went out and did about 10 miles when it all started to go a bit pear shaped.

All the dash lights came on and the rev counetr and speedo now start and about 4k rev and 60 mph.

I also started getting a beeping sound - like a warning beep??? Don't know what that is. The dash lights went off again but on the way back just came on and stayed on. Just as I got home it was starting to sound a little rough as well - is the fuel pump run from the battery??

Anyway - won't start now. Not even turning over.

:):DB)

Update on above -

Went out for a bit in the car this morning to see if the light went out and did about 10 miles when it all started to go a bit pear shaped.

All the dash lights came on and the rev counetr and speedo now start and about 4k rev and 60 mph.

I also started getting a beeping sound - like a warning beep??? Don't know what that is. The dash lights went off again but on the way back just came on and stayed on. Just as I got home it was starting to sound a little rough as well - is the fuel pump run from the battery??

Anyway - won't start now. Not even turning over.

:)  :D  B)

At the risk or a repeat thread on Lotus fires, I'd have this looked at by a pro right away. Short term, I'd disconnect the battery and leave it that way until pro help.

<Edit>

"Short term" sorry B)

Hmm, sounds a little like the early symptons of my crank pulley... so could be the sensor there (unlikely) or most likely alternator belt.

I'd get it to Horizon or similar ASAP!

Being picked up tmrw to go on trailer to Horizon to be sorted.

On the up side it did start tonight and the dials sorted themselves out. Battery light still on. Mike thinks may just be a slipped or broken belt.

Fingers crossed.

Getting its due A Service at the same time and an MOT.

:)

PS - No reason for the afro - just made me laugh when I just looked at them for 1st time...

Good News!

Heard from Mike earlier and it turns out that it was just a wire that had come loose between Alternator and Battery.

Only probs on service are replace brake fluid and new cam head gasket.

:wacko::clap::clap:

Ach I wish I was on this forum more recently...as I had the same prob mate and the charger wire was just loose on the alternator end. Only mines totally died lol. However the dials went nuts and indicated I was doing 145mph @8000rpm. I felt the magic of being in an exige for those few fleeting moments hehe ...it rocked :D

Archived