litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Upgrade

JulesP

Anyone had any experience of the Janspeed sports upgrade available for the S2 Elise. Fancy a bit of extra zip and reckon the 2 grand it costs would be well spent?!?!? Any thoughts??

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe its a 150bhp kit and supposedly very good...

However you may reap more rewards from DVA Power...

Particualrly the k13a package which gives about 155bhp from a ported head and cams... it costs about £1300 fitted and then buy and fit a 4-2-1 Manifold and you'll be a happy bear :clap:

Scott, have you first hand experience (i.e. pasengered or driven) a car with the K13 (i.e. large valve) DVA kit? I'm quite tempted for the extra money but aren't really sure of power / tractibility change. When I'm more serious about it I'll contact the great man himself, but right now I'm only postulating.

I haven't been in a K13, but have been in the k13a, not driven it, but have passengered.... it is well well worth it, it's a Sport 160 basically, but with a great deal more torque at lower range (or certainly feels it - not sure on exact figures) and a more frantic dash for the red line.

So i am guessing that based on that you'll get a slight improvement on torque across the range and a bit more top end. I guess it depends on where you go from there as to whether the big valve is worth it, logic suggests so but its a few hundred quid extra and i'm not sure it will be significantly better - probably best to spend the cash on an Emerald instead?

In Gran turismo one can just shove a chip in most cars and they are better, I assume the emerald you refer to has some benefits, but presumably if it was just the chip, lotus would have done this anyway?!?!

Or does it increase performance by adding risk to engine life, etc?

Or is it only good after mods?

In Gran turismo one can just shove a chip in most cars and they are better, I assume the emerald you refer to has some benefits, but presumably if it was just the chip, lotus would have done this anyway?!?!

Or does it increase performance by adding risk to engine life, etc?

Or is it only good after mods?

The Emerald is a complete replacement ECU. It is fully mapable, which means you can program exactly as much spark or fuel as your particular engine requires (e.g. due to modifications or differences in your engine compared to the originals that Lotus used).

Increase in performance depends on the spec - an expensive mod for little gain on a std car, but big modifications require unique mapping and gain a lot or indeed impossible to run without it. This is because the stock ECU uses a standard spark table but can compensate fuelling to a limited degree. This is OK with some mods (including apparently the DVA K13A kit), but cannot handle and certainly can't optimise bigger mods (such as aggressive cams / big valves etc etc).

No significant increased risk to engine life if mapped properly.

Yeah GT4 and Forza both have some oddities.... i get really pissed off with the ABS, TC etc on my 1964 Elan :blink:

Emerald - having seen one in use when we looked at my car... they are complex bits of kit, individual adjusments of fuel, spark, air etc at 500rpm intervals in each gear.... :blink: I doubt one would make much use to a std car, but one where you've changed the head, induction kit, cmas etc - it'll make a bid difference.

Archived