litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Damn, Blast, S**t & F**k...

bermudabob

Half asleep this morning, backing out of the driveway.. crunch.

Had a very low speed bash with my neighbours parked Rover - little or no damage to his (small mercy I suppose). Blue paint on mine, scuff mark & a bit of crazing on the fibreglass. I'm guessing this is a rear clam respray isn't it?

Where is a good place I can get this done near Nottingham. Quality & price always a factor...

Rob (in a huff)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blue paint on mine, scuff mark & a bit of crazing on the fibreglass. I'm guessing this is a rear clam respray isn't it?

Where is a good place I can get this done near Nottingham. Quality & price always a factor...

Rob (in a huff)

Ouch, unlucky !

Crazed paint could need a repair underneath. If you can stand it, don't rush into the repair as damage underneath can take up to 6 months to fully appear. I had a crack appear in the old bonnet several months after I thought there was no real damage.

Don't know a local repairer, but if Steve Edwards is looking he gave me a recommendation once. Lost the details, I'm afraid. There's always Hallcraft if you're over near Horizon...

I rang Hallcraft to get an idea of the cost, explained the damage, and got quoted about £400 + decals as a very rough estimate. I'll have to mail him some photos to get a better idea aas to the cost.

Which is roughly what I expected to be honest...

Still open to suggestions though!

could ring up windsor garage in beeston, they normally work with crashed damaged car but they have a very good reputation with the standard of car that comes back out and they maybe even beat that price you have been given. There number is in the yellow pages

Hi Rob

I can recommend a place in Derby called I.Wilkinson & Son Ltd. They repaired my Elise when I took a chunk out of the rear wheel arch by reversing into my friends Dad's Aston Marton DB7. I was a bit drunk at the time but thought I would be fine just moving it on his drive. Think the repair cost around £400 but they did a good job because they had to spray a large part of the back end to blend the paint in. They are based on the estate I work on and when I drive past everyday there are always old Ferrari's, Rolls Royce's etc. parked outside so they must be pretty good.

Telephone number if you are interested is: 01332 344124 or 01332 344496.

Cheers

Rich.

Wasn't the cheapest mistake i've ever made but luckily he was on holiday so I got a company to carry out the repair on his drive which cost me about £150. An Aston Martin takes a bump alot better than a Lotus as you can well imagine so the damage to it was only minor.

qcr in coventry are excelent paint sprayers. Im not sure what theyre like with fibreglass, but they have worked magic on most of the "metal" cars Ive seen painted there, and have started to do a lot of work on chav cars with big (fibreglass) body-kits recently, so might be able to sort you out...

Theyre not esp. cheap; charged £300 for painting my mates brand new bmw 1/2-series (mini) roof and wing mirrors, but did an awesome job on it

b :(

Try Paul's Motor Body Repairs - 01455 846 849, in Barwell Leic's as well Bob

Just had my front clam done there, plus they do work for Ultima and Noble who are just round the corner. Had a Trevor awaiting repair as well when I picked my clam up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to that Wilkinson place in Derby for a quote and the guy there reckons around £300 + VAT. So I'll be saving about £100 there. And he's said, when he's done I shouldn't be able to tell any difference to the original look.

I just have to wait a month or so now for any crazing to come out, just in case, although he looked at it and didn't think it would grow anymore.

So, penny saving time...

I'm sure you will be happy with the job they do for you but it would be good if you let me know how you get on. If you want to have a look at my car to see what sort of a job they did on it you are more than welcome. Also, I'm not sure if they provide a courtesy car or not but if you need a lift back to Nottingham if you drop it off one evening I should be able to help out.

Archived