litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dodgy Handbrake

Chombers

This is probably not the most technical question posted here but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Last night when I put the handbrake on, the release ‘button’ fell out the end. This has a metal rod attached to the back about 200mm long with a kink at the end and a spring just behind the button part. It’s possible, with a bit of fiddling, to get it to release the handbrake but it does have tendency to spring out into the foot well :P ! I have managed to get it back in but I’m pretty sure it’s not quite right as the handbrake light stays on all the time. When the handbrake is off the ratchet ‘thingy’ immediately underneath (hope this makes sense) no longer presses down on the micro switch (however the light on the dashboard does go out though if I press the switch myself).

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so is it just a case of fiddling with it (so to speak) to get it to stay in place or is it likely to need the handbrake lever cover taking off and a bit more work?

Hopefully this is a simple fix but I didn’t want to make things worse with my bodged attempt to fix it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the metal arm on the switch bends down so the handbrake no longer makes contact - you can bend that back into position.

It does sound as if you're having a bit more of a problem if bits spring out.

Sorry I can't help any more than that, but I've not had to dismantle mine...

...yet.

Thanks, it seems likely that I could have bent the lever of the switch slightly when I was trying to put the release button and metal rod back in so I’ll have ago at bending it back so it makes contact when the handbrake is down.

I’m still not sure how to keep the release button in place though, it just seems trial and error to get it to stay unless anyone knows any different???

Archived