litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dash Tweeters, And Induction Kit

tonner_notts

Decat will be louder than the hurricane, and the hurricane is a nice noise.

If you're going to the Notts meet next Thursday, we can bring a decat pipe then (it's steel, not stainless).

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm..

Decat louder than hurricane? :blink: I think this is all a bit misleading..

Decat will amplify and resonate the sound of your exhaust. If you dont have a loud exhaust, the decat serves not much purpose at all(sound wise). Tonner, not sure what youre running exhaust wise..

The filter growls and roars when you put your foot down, not so much at low revs. With a standard/quiet stainless exhaust, you will notice it, and it sounds pretty nice(but you wont be deafened). As for sound differences between K&N/Hurricane/PiperX, I can comment as I dont know.

However, with a loud mofo sports exhaust(Eliseparts/ Janspeed/ Quicksilver etc) AND decat, I doubt youll even hear the filter above the sound of the exhaust. I cant(Eliseparts).

For example, I had :

1) A quieter S/S Magnex + Cat + Standard Filter (A bit radio 4, if you know what I mean)

2) Removed the Cat. Not a lot of difference..

3) Cone filter (warm air)..Lovely growl from 3-4k revs, but still fairly placid through the range as the base exhaust note wasnt too violent.

4) Eliseparts exhaust. Erm..Bloody hell. Cant hear the filter as the exhaust+decat just boooom!

If I want to listen to music, I go in the other car. Or drive like a sissy.

:blink:

On the stereo front I have not long had a mini sub fitted by CEL and I am well chuffed with it. Doesn't have me bouncing down the road but certainly makes a BIG difference. Top off and at speed and you still here it all. CEL fitted some resistors to the existing speakers to act as a bit of a x-over but my head unit also has a low and high frequency filter so you can tune it all to your taste in choons!!

I had the unit placed behind the driver seat cos I'm a short arse but I'm sure it can go other places, as you'll know you can't tell where bass comes from direction wise so its not important where you put the sub.

As for the induction kit zorst set up, I have an ITG kit and I think a lotus sport exhaust (not sure though, was on car when I got it). Russ followed me into Mallory and commented that it sounded nice so I'll take his word for it. Sounds ace to me!!

Think I ave attached a (bad) photo of the sub unit behind my seat!!

post-759-1116614313.jpg

Im my opinion,on the exhaust front, if the decat is for the sound I think you might be quite disappointed if its totally standard..

As an example, on a bedford trackday noise test, they do a drive by at 6000rpm(limit 87db ish. Wind speed/direction factors in the reading as its outdoors, but:

When I had Magnex+Decat+Cone filter they it was in the realms of 77db(from memory). The guy thought in the control tower thought we hadnt even started yet because of the low reading. With the same setup, but Eliseparts exhaust, it was 86.5db. I can only assume the standard exhaust would be even quieter than the Magnex-but dont quote me on that :D

May be worth going on a run and seeing what you like from other cars with regards to what you want...hth

Also, Ive got a video camera and am hoping to do some in-cabin and outside videos with my setup this weekend, so I will try and post them up.

Just a note of caution if you're planning to fit a sub where DunkHSP's is fitted. Be VERY careful if fitting with screws (i.e. don't), behind that panel is the fuel tank. Strong Velcro recommended.

Niall

Very good point about the mounting screws, this was put on using the velcro and adhesive method (CEL have done a few before).

The sub is a little Alpine unit, relatively new I think to the market. I'll give the exact model number when I get home. You can probably get one for around the £120-150 mark if yuo do the internet thing. Clarion do another quite compact one which I think is pretty much the same price.

Archived