litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Driver James Rossiter Eyes Race Seat At Kv Racing Technology

Mark H

Ex-Formula One test driver James Rossiter has inked a contract to become a test and development driver for Lotus Motorsport in a deal that could lead to a race seat in the Izod IndyCar Series.

Rossiter, who tested for the BAR-Honda and Super Aguri F1 teams in 2005-08, has been part of Lotus's sports-car GT racing operation since September and has contested two races in an Evora GT car. The relationship was cemented with a test contract just before Christmas and could encompass selected race appearances with Lotus's IndyCar partner, KV Racing Technology.

Lotus Motorsport director Claudio Berro said he hopes Rossiter, a race winner in the American Le Mans Series with the Andretti Green Racing Acura team in 2008, can be part of the company's IndyCar program in 2011.

“I would like to have James racing for us in IndyCar,” he said. “It could happen this season, though most likely only on the road and street tracks.”

Berro said that one possibility is for Rossiter and an unnamed American driver to share a seat at KV, who extended its relationship with Lotus through the 2011 season.

“We would like to have an American driver and we have a name, but we do not have the full budget," he commented. "We could split the drive in half; one driver could do the ovals and one the road courses.”

Rossiter, who tested for KV in February 2010 before the team affirmed its relationship with Lotus, said that both he and Lotus are “working hard to find the partners” that would provide the funding necessary to make the IndyCar deal happen.

KV's relationship with Lotus will expand this season. One KV Dallara-Honda, driven by ex-F1 driver Takumo Sato, was painted in Lotus colors last year. This season, Berro said, two or three cars will race under the Lotus banner.

Rossiter's other primary focus in 2011 will be to develop the new Lotus 125, which strongly resembles a modern F1 car and is billed by the company as the ultimate track-day car. The car's first test is scheduled to take place at the Vallelunga circuit in Italy this week.

Rossiter also is expected to participate in a number of long-distance races in the GT-Endurance and GT4-spec Evoras.

“It is great to be back with a manufacturer," the 27-year-old said. "It would be great to represent the Lotus brand out in the United States, but it all depends on finding the budget. IndyCar is where I want to be, but I'm also looking forward to using my single-seater experience developing the 125.”

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110112/IRL/110119951

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived