litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Getting Toe Link Ball Joints Replaced

GreyKnight

Following on from my earlier thread I went to Nick Whale this morning and one of their technicians had a look at the car for me and proved that the driver side rear toe link was seized completely hence the creaking when hot. I hadn't noticed this since I hadn't really inspected the passenger side to compare the two. The passenger side link moves freely while the driver's side won't budge.

They have quoted approximately £200 to replace both ball joints on the driver side link. Does this sound right?

I'm getting my dad to take the car in for me on Thursday to have the work done since Saturday is the May run which I'd like to be at if possible.

What are your thoughts? I would take the car to Horizon, but I'd have to do it myself since my dad doesn't like driving in Birmingham or on the motorway if he can help it (it's an old age thing), but Horizon can't do anything for me until the end of May. I'm not sure if I should driver the car too much (especially under "Midlands run conditions" ) with this problem.

What are your thoughts?

Graham

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does the price include, does it include a tracking check?

If so, IIRC the cost of a joint is £45 each so that's £90 for them, £40ish for tracking so they are claiming about and hour and a half labour. Perhaps a touch high but it's not miles away.

You have asked for the MLOC/SELOC 10% discount haven't you?

Don't know Mark, didn't go into detail. The technician said something about just setting the new parts up to the same lengths/positions as the old ones, but I'll get that sorted out on the day. Didn't think about the discount at the time - I'll remember to give dad my SELOC card on the day.

Oh, obviously I got a bit mixed up on my first post, the May run is on the Sunday not the Saturday so I could probably have got it sorted at the weekend - oh well. :blush:

Archived