litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Mountain Bike Help Or Advice.....

snowman

:lol: Hi folkes,

Looking to buy a mountain bike for a bit of hooning around the countryside. Just looking for a bit of advice into what to look for... Possible spend £300- £400....

Cheers

waz

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to be in mountain biking bike time from 14-17, i got a full carbon fibre Giant bike, its light as a feather and they have been using the same frame design since 1979 its that good. You could pick up a nice carbon framed bike with half decent suspension front forks for that budget on e bay i guess. Try and get a bike that as a shamano group set(ie the sprokets, pedal cranks and chain area etc) or better such as Hope, XTR other wise they tend not to last long.

Have a look in the admag. MTBs depreciate as fast as S2 elises so ther're loads of bargins to be had.

I've always found that US bikes are better than the british ones, Cannondale, Kona, GT, Marin ect are all well established brands. In fact the Cannondale i had was possibly the best bike i've ever rode!! And light as hell at only 22lb!!

Cannondales are supperb but with all Ali frames (especially used ones) make sure there are no cracks or flaws (same as carbon fibre). USed to race downhill when i was young enough to bounce off trees so and in my experience i would seriously suggest you invest your 300-400 pounds in a good shimano (XT) setup and a frame. Although good fawks are always a plus too.

Rear suspension looks like a lot of fun but unless you are seroiusly serious and spend a lot of money its just more moving parts to go wrong.

Happy hunting

Ally

specialized seem to have quite a good rep. I had a GT steely framed bike for a while which was great - v easy to chuck around but then i prefer the flex of the steel frames and generally prefer the hardtail bikes... A flatmate who raced mtbs was quite wary of alu framed bikes - they can crack if there is no suspension to soften the forces the frame has to take. I didn't get on that well with suspension when i tried it but its each to his own i guess. I always figured that the last season bikes were always the way to go... like boards you really need to find somewhere where they will let you ride one for a bit. Someone will probably be along to put me right on frames but hey ho, just passing on what i was told. :P

Archived