litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Undercarriage Falls Off

SOUPS

Drove all the way to Manchester airport (from Notts) and on way back just left stoke i heard a huge BANG followed by heavy ratteling noise..... stopped the car turn out the WHOLE undercarriage fell down as the screws came loose. RAC guy tied it up, anyone had similar problems? car went for MOT just about 30miles before i left for the MOT could it be the MOT garage didnt sealed properly? (Alltho in the notes it says didnt check below as the covered by undercarriage)

:blink:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked my uncle Stanley about this, initially he looked puzzled and then he said that it was "most likely the gangle pins that had slidyfold from the 'undercarriage' (droopy springy flapper panel). In extreme circumstances this can cause the undercarriage to gravity slip, allowing it to sproingy fallollop on the groundyroad. Under normal circumstances, hexybolts are clockwise insertytwist into the droopy springy flapper panel allowing them to be correctly tensioned, providing venturi sucksquish and therefore aerodynamo benefications. As a part of the Ministration of Transportus testicycle, they are not allowed to disconnect flappy panels to inspectorate, so it was unlikely to be their causation..."

It took me a while, but what I think he was trying to say was that he didn't think MOT testers were allowed to undo body panels (e.g. Undertrays) to inspect. So the Undertray falling off was unlikely to be due to the MOT test, probably just the fixing nuts had come undone, or were just loose to begin with. He's never had this problem, but it's probably worth checking with an 8mm spanner every now and again.

Cheers,

Niall (and his uncle Stanley) :blink:

"I asked my uncle Stanley about this, initially he looked puzzled and then he said that it was "most likely the gangle pins that had slidyfold from the 'undercarriage' (droopy springy flapper panel). In extreme circumstances this can cause the undercarriage to gravity slip, allowing it to sproingy fallollop on the groundyroad. Under normal circumstances, hexybolts are clockwise insertytwist into the droopy springy flapper panel allowing them to be correctly tensioned, providing venturi sucksquish and therefore aerodynamo benefications. As a part of the Ministration of Transportus testicycle, they are not allowed to disconnect flappy panels to inspectorate, so it was unlikely to be their causation"

Quality :tup:

Regards

Jon

It took me a while, but what I think he was trying to say was that he didn't think MOT testers were allowed to undo body panels (e.g. Undertrays) to inspect. So the Undertray falling off was unlikely to be due to the MOT test,  probably just the fixing nuts had come undone, or were just loose to begin with. He's never had this problem, but it's probably worth checking with an 8mm spanner every now and again.

Thanks for the translation. Did you read much Roald Dahl as a child? :tup:

Archived